Looking for some advice lagoon 25 random die off.

WSM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I started up my tank about a 2 months or so ago with dr Tim’s live sand & dry rock I followed the directions and got the complete cycle. Added a fire fish 3 weeks ago. Added a royal gramma 1 week after. Started seeing diatoms so picked up 6 snails & a small clown fish goby 1 week ago. Everything has been fine up until this point.

The clown fish goby never ate and spent most of the time hiding I found it dead 2 days ago.
The next day the royal gramma was dead & today my fire fish looks to be on his way out laying on sand bed breathing hard.

I use rodi & salt water from LFS and do weekly 5 gallon WC tested my levels this morning & are as follows

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ph 8
Salinity 1.025

I have a healthy amount of pods the filtration is filter floss and a bag of Nano carbon that IM sells in the filtration packs.

Any idea what could be going on?

OP
OP
WSM

WSM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TX_REEF

Thank you for the reply. I attached a picture and video.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 72797901113__AD1875D9-C3AF-4BAE-BE43-4BDFE1D29FC7.MOV
    410.3 KB
OP
OP
WSM

WSM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s another of the surface

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 30

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface agitation looks good. What's your temp set at? This may be a case of too many fish too soon - when you start with dry rock only, you have to remember that the bottled bacteria is nowhere near a match for real mature live rock. If you can, I'd recommend you source a bit of mature live rock from a clean established system, or better yet some real ocean live rock from somewhere like Tampa Bay Saltwater. The immediate influx of mature biological filtration, in my pinion, outweighs the chance of any small hitchikers. You can even use Tampa Bay salwater live sand, which has less likelihood of hitchhikers. You could also post a clear 20-30 second video of your struggling fish so the fish medics can take a look and advise.

OP
OP
WSM

WSM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface agitation looks good. What's your temp set at? This may be a case of too many fish too soon - when you start with dry rock only, you have to remember that the bottled bacteria is nowhere near a match for real mature live rock. If you can, I'd recommend you source a bit of mature live rock from a clean established system, or better yet some real ocean live rock from somewhere like Tampa Bay Saltwater. The immediate influx of mature biological filtration, in my pinion, outweighs the chance of any small hitchikers. You can even use Tampa Bay salwater live sand, which has less likelihood of hitchhikers. You could also post a clear 20-30 second video of your struggling fish so the fish medics can take a look and advise.
Temp is at 78 fluctuations +1/-1 degree. And thanks for the advice I’ll look into live rock & I’ll post a video of the fish.

OP
OP
WSM

WSM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
light just started up. Also would like to say everything was normal less than 14 hours ago. Ate like a pig.

B1D6CF2F-A119-42ED-9329-221C53422BF3.jpeg

Attachments

• 72798042477__96385F4F-7CD7-4394-B84E-F473544F7776.MOV
    3.2 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back