Looking for some QT advice for tang not eating (in front of me)

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received a whitetail bristletooth tang about 6 days ago. It was ordered online from a reputable seller who told me he was eating well prior to shipping. Since arriving, he hasn’t responded to my feeding attempts. I’ve tried flakes, pellets, nori (green and red), mysis soaked in garlic and LRS. I started the tank with Prazipro and cupramine when he arrived, but since added carbon and did a large water change to remove it at the advice of the seller. (He said not to treat medicine now until the fish starts eating well). Any time I go anywhere near the tank to observe, he hides in the PVC elbows I have in there. If I sneak around the corner slowly, sometimes he’s out and about occasionally (I think he may just be shy around me now). He may be picking a little well after I add the food but it’s not in front of me so I can’t verify first-hand. I’ve been doing daily water changes to ensure ammonia stays at 0 and I grab whatever leftover food I can at that time.

I’ve read that bristletooths like to graze on algae, but there really isn’t any in my QT tank. He appears to be picking at corners and glass like he’s looking for it though.

Looking for some suggestions? Also, would you guys recommend I pick up a small piece or two of live rock at my LFS in hopes that it has some algae on it for him to pick on? (I don’t want to use anything from my display tank because of possible meds left in tank)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a piece you could sacrifice for QT? I sometimes do this with difficult fish, I’ll take a piece from my sump to add to QT. When I’m ready to add meds I’ll just remove it.

Whitetails are actually pretty timid and can be hard to acclimate to tank life. Can you rubber band algae to a piece of rubble and leave that for him to pick at?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rubberband a nuri sheet to a PVC piece and never had an issue with them eating. Until they get used to u they will hide, give it some time. Also, dont use prazi and copper together, it can harm the fish, you either use copper first and then after do water changes to get copper concentration down to 0 before prazi, or do prazi first and the copper.

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah I would let him settle in a bit and have him eating well prior to meds but also agree with @Billldg . Don't use prazi and copper together. One or the other. When using either make sure you aerate the water well as they both deplete the O2 in the tank and prazi suppresses the appetite as well.

Just leave the nori in the tank on a clip and also zip ti to PVC. give him a couple of options. He'll come around

OP
OP
R

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, he was afraid of me so he spent all his time hiding when I observed him. I set up a camera to watch him and saw he ate when I wasn’t around. Now he’s fine. I matter where I am. Take nori out of my hand.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back