Looking for stocking suggestions for a 75 gal reef tank

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for some stocking suggestions for my 75 gal. I’m going to make it a mixed reef tank. I’m not sure how many fish I can have and what wold work together and be happy in a tank that size. I would like a pair of clowns and maybe a pistol shrimp and goby. I also like the idea of having a sand sleeper wrasse but I’m not sure what kind that would be or if it would be suitable for my size tank. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. It will give me some ideas and some homework to do. Thanks

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang would be nice there, but for since it’s only a 75, the tang police might find you lol

OP
OP
F

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure it would be enough swimming room for a tang, I’m looking for suggestions for fish that would do well in a tank that size but thanks for the response

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the halichoeres wrasses would work. They are varying levels of "reef safe" depending on the fish and your tolerance level - mostly they bother (eat) clean up crews. I had a Melanarus wrasse in a 75 gal tank for a couple of years that did well and never bothered anything, except I couldn't keep feather duster s. He is now enjoying more space in mye 180 gal. Often they will eat pests like flatworms and bristleworms. They eat pods as well so keeping mandarins may or may not work well.

In my 75 I kept a fairy, flasher and melanarus wrasse, an ochre striped cardinal, tomini tang, diamond goby, firefish, royal gramma, and a clownfish pair without issues. There was an Eibli angel for a while, but he liked my brain corals too much. I had a mandarin for a while, but he dissapeared when we went on vacation. I suspect he starved because he was getting thin - the only frozen he would eat was nutramar and that went off the shelves for a while.

You can really get a nice mix going in that size tank :)

OP
OP
F

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cindy I was looking for something like that to do some research before I go and buy any fish

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 75 I have a lighting maroon, gold nugget maroon, black cap basslet, 3 purple fire fish, flame hawk, one spot fox face, copper band butterfly, tailspot blenny, gold head sleeper goby, blue eye tang and lawn mower blenny

OP
OP
F

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it seems from what you guys are telling me I can hold more fish in a 75 than I thought

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure it would be enough swimming room for a tang, I’m looking for suggestions for fish that would do well in a tank that size but thanks for the response
i kept yellow and hippo tan and 3 more fishes in 50 gallon aquarium with no problem for 2 years until move to 70 gallon aquarium

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's you're budget?

If you want a fish not every Tom, Dick and Harry has.... pay for a Purple Tang

OP
OP
F

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean no real budget I am planning on taking it slow and adding fish slowly over the next few months after the cycle. Just looking for ideas.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back