Looking for T5 reflectors / clips / ballasts and moon LED's

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have solved my Metal Halide solution and ordered Hamilton Cayman Sun pendants. I have the ballasts sourced. Have not purchased the bulbs.

Now on to the T5 solution. I need to get some good T5 reflectors / clips and ballasts / bulbs.
What would you guys recommend? I need the entire T5 solution. I am basically building the hood solution from scratch after one I ordered online arrived in pieces. I would also like a good moon LED kit that I can control brightness and cycles to simulate the lunar cycle. Moon rise and moon set with waxing and waning cycles.

Looks like Neptune has a good setup for lunar cycles and light strings. Does anyone know if these are white light or blue light? I am wanting white light.

* Is there a T5 LED replacement that has the soft fill of a 48" tube?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CayeCaulker

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap!
Have you seen this video?

Those moon light strings for the apex controller, the ones that cost almost $50 bucks for four of them are nothing more than wires and 4 LED bulbs in a string. This is why the aquarium hobby is like driving a Mercedes to the repair shop. It's absolute finical ****. Print "reef aquarium" on the box and you can charge what ever you want. I can string up some wires and make simple mounts for almost free. Why would someone pay $50 bucks for the apex moon light string? I found out in this video that the Apex string comes in blue not natural moon light white. Not sure that it matters with coral spawning.

So basically I am going to buy the controller and string up my own Christmas lights lol.
I think you can buy 100 of those 4mm LED lamps for about $0.50 The wire doesn't cost $50.

I will probably drill some small holes in the T5 reflector and stick them in those so I can hide the wires. The little plug that goes into the Apex controller is just a standard plug I can buy from digikey for almost nothing. A much better solution and way less cost than the over priced light string. I may go crazy and install 8 of them lol. I wonder how much that light string would cost? $75? I am sure what ever driver they are using in the controller can easily handle them. I don't think they make drivers that won't handle such a small current load. Maybe I will install two sets and add some UV LED's to make some pop for fun. Put the UV LED's on a switch so I can turn them off and on.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back