104 KB · Views: 40

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the orange ones these?
No - your orange ones show a "leafy" texture on the back (i.e. instead of just being tube-shaped, yours have leafy "wings" on the side that they've folded into the middle; you can see this easily if you zoom in on the orange one on the right in the pic). Your slugs are an Elysia sp. sacoglossan slug like E. flava or E. obtusa.

TrevorP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not. I've had them in my tank for well over a year. They seem to self regulate, spirobid die down, they become less common. I actually have a ton of spirobid on my magnetic cleaner and these guys hang out there too. @TheBourbonReefer I have no idea if these things would survive shipping, they are super tiny. I'd be willing to try it if you'd like.
I would be very interested to see if they will ship!

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - your orange ones show a "leafy" texture on the back (i.e. instead of just being tube-shaped, yours have leafy "wings" on the side that they've folded into the middle; you can see this easily if you zoom in on the orange one on the right in the pic). Your slugs are an Elysia sp. sacoglossan slug like E. flava or E. obtusa.
What's their story? Good? bad? Similar or different diet than the Vasierrea?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's their story? Good? bad? Similar or different diet than the Vasierrea?
Good unless you have a macroalgae tank - they're Sacoglossan slugs (sometimes called Solar-powered Slugs) rather than nudibranchs (though a number of Sacoglossans are referred to misleadingly as Lettuce Nudibranchs), and they eat algae (more specifically, they suck the chloroplasts out and become temporarily photosynthetic).

For the specific diet:
Elysia flava or E. obtusa - harmless/beneficial Sacoglossan slugs. They're herbivores, with E. obtusa known to feed on Bryopsis, while E. Flava is thought to feed on Cladophora. As mentioned below, I don't know if these are required feeds or just strongly preferred feeds:
Some lettuce slugs (typically from the genus Elysia) will eat nuisance algae species, but their wild diet varies pretty drastically from one species to another, and some species have some pretty specific wild diets (I don’t know if these are required diets or preferred diets, but Reef Cleaners reports that they'll eat just about any green, fleshy algae). That said, Elysia slugs generally feed on siphonalean algae such as Caulerpa, Codium, Acetabularia, Halimeda, Udotea, Byropsis, and Valonia spp. So, in theory, these guys should eat nuisance algae that pops up in your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back