How to kill bristle worms?

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I need help to get rid of Bristle Worms in my tank. I just hate them and stand them anymore. They are making me not want to look at my tank anymore. They’re taking the pleasure of the hobby away. And my tank is just full of them! They’re all over the place, and they’re so many.

I’ve thought of a few ways of getting rid of them, but still haven’t gotten the courage to go trough with them. Some solutions are more destructive than others.

So I’d like to see if you guys have any other ideas or suggestions.

So here are some of my ideas:

1- Nuke the tank with tap water and bleach -
This idea consistis in setting up quarantine tanks, maybe one or 2, removing all my fish, anemone, inverts and coral. Then draining the tank and filling it up with tap water and some bleach then let it run for a few hours. This would kill everything, I believe. It woul kill all the bristle worms, but would also kill all the good micro life. All the copepods, amphipods, etc. Would kill the Coraline Algea and all the good bacteria too. This is the nuclear option. Very destructive. I would have to cycle the tank again, and wait to add the fish back from the quarantine. So this is a very hard decision to be made.

2-Dose the tank with Cupramine-
My second idea is a crazy one, I know. But I’d like to know if anyone eles thinks it’s a viable option, or if I’m just completely wrong and should have never thought of doing this in the first place.
I was think of removing all inverts to a quarantine tank. That includes the anemone and GSP coral, but not the rock. I’d take some frgas of the coral and let the rest on the display tank. Then I’d dose the tank with Cupramine, my tank is a Red Sea 350 90 Gallon tank. My idea is that this would kill all inverts in the tank. I know this is very dangerous, many things can go wrong. And that’s why I haven’t done it, and I’m writing this post instead of just doing it. So I’m writing this post to see if anyone can help me think of things that could go wrong and reasons with I should ou should do this. I know that the rock can absorb the cupramine, so this might not work. And that afterwords the tank might be hazardous for inverts, but if I keep running carbon, wouldn’t it absorb most of the cupramine? This way rid be killing all the bristle worms at once. I know that there might be a huge ammonia spike, but I can try to keep an eye on that and do an emergency water change if necessary.

So those are 2 of my crazy ideas for getting rid of bristle worms for ever. I know there are ways of keeping them in check, which fish that would eat them, but I have so many that this wouldn’t work. I need a definitive solution. So if there is anything else that is not as destructive as my absurd ideas, please let me know. All I want is to have a tank free of these awful critters once again.

Thanks guys

Best,

Hugo Garcia

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I need help to get rid of Bristle Worms in my tank. I just hate them and stand them anymore. They are making me not want to look at my tank anymore. They’re taking the pleasure of the hobby away. And my tank is just full of them! They’re all over the place, and they’re so many.

I’ve thought of a few ways of getting rid of them, but still haven’t gotten the courage to go trough with them. Some solutions are more destructive than others.

This idea consistis in setting up quarantine tanks, maybe one or 2, removing all my fish, anemone, inverts and coral. Then draining the tank and filling it up with tap water and some bleach then let it run for a few hours. This would kill everything, I believe. It woul kill all the bristle worms, but would also kill all the good micro life. All the copepods, amphipods, etc. Would kill the Coraline Algea and all the good bacteria too. This is the nuclear option. Very destructive. I would have to cycle the tank again, and wait to add the fish back from the quarantine. So this is a very hard decision to be made.

My second idea is a crazy one, I know. But I’d like to know if anyone eles thinks it’s a viable option, or if I’m just completely wrong and should have never thought of doing this in the first place.
I was think of removing all inverts to a quarantine tank. That includes the anemone and GSP coral, but not the rock. I’d take some frgas of the coral and let the rest on the display tank. Then I’d dose the tank with Cupramine, my tank is a Red Sea 350 90 Gallon tank. My idea is that this would kill all inverts in the tank. I know this is very dangerous, many things can go wrong. And that’s why I haven’t done it, and I’m writing this post instead of just doing it. So I’m writing this post to see if anyone can help me think of things that could go wrong and reasons with I should ou should do this. I know that the rock can absorb the cupramine, so this might not work. And that afterwords the tank might be hazardous for inverts, but if I keep running carbon, wouldn’t it absorb most of the cupramine? This way rid be killing all the bristle worms at once. I know that there might be a huge ammonia spike, but I can try to keep an eye on that and do an emergency water change if necessary.

So those are 2 of my crazy ideas for getting rid of bristle worms for ever. I know there are ways of keeping them in check, which fish that would eat them, but I have so many that this wouldn’t work. I need a definitive solution. So if there is anything else that is not as destructive as my absurd ideas, please let me know. All I want is to have a tank free of these awful critters once again.

Thanks guys

Best,

Hugo Garcia
Dont! Bristle worms are a good part of the cuc. They get out of hand when there is leftover food to eat. Try cutting back on feeding to thin them out some. You can manually pull the larger ones if you really want to. I did this years ago too, I hated them. They are good as long as they are just common bristle worms. I know they can be gross.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Thanks guys

Best,

Hugo Garcia
2 more options would be a bristle worm trap or a fish that eats them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Thanks guys

Best,

Hugo Garcia
Please do not do either "solution".

Bristleworm population will increase with overfeeding. Try feeding your tank less.

Arrow crabs and olive snails will eat bristleworms, but do your own research to make sure they aren't a threat to anything else in your tank.

Bristleworm traps are usually very successful.

I'm curious, do you see the bristleworms when the lights are on (other than right after you feed)?

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is it, can you post some pictures? I don’t suggest nuking the tanks as you would kill off a lot of the beneficial bacteria and microfauna, I used a trap from Amazon a few weeks ago which worked great!!! Try pulling out with some forceps as well if they present themselves

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Thanks guys

Best,

Hugo Garcia
You could send some to me, my tank unfortunately has none.

Seriously, they're good for the tank as they eat leftover food.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be crass and highly opinionated here: If you are bothered by creepy crawlies, then this honestly might not be the hobby for you.

That said, a population explosion of bristle worms usually tends to point to significant overfeeding. You should be glad you have them, because it means the uneaten food is not simply rotting and decaying in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello guys,

Thanks guys

Best,

Hugo Garcia
They can increase in numbers and be a nuisance but welcomed by many. I dont welcome them.
An arrow crab who eats them exclusively will be a great addition

Arrow crab:
1700860725288.png

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could send some to me, my tank unfortunately has none.

Seriously, they're good for the tank as they eat leftover food.
Same, I had to order them and spaghetti worms so I could have some in my tank. Stream the movie Tremors it has a step by step way to deal with worms.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back