Fish keep dying, getting ready to call it quits

  • Thread starter Thread starter Torps
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
In looking at your pervious picture with red algae on substrate, why are you 99.8% sure it’s not Cyanobacteria, because that is what it looks like to me.

1790019222141.jpeg
It just didn’t look like it. I can’t really give specifics, but I deemed it not. Is there a test for it? Will an icp test look for it?
Definitely a bummer that most folks here can relate to.

Can you tell us about the tank?

How old?

Was it set up with live rock or dead?

What filter equipment?

A picture of the tank would help fill in the gaps.

Also the fish, maybe start with the most recent loss. What was the fish and how did it pass? Please be detailed with symptoms.
No symptoms. That’s why I’m so frustrated. First it was two firefish in succession. They seemed perfectly fine, no change in behavior since day one, then gone without a trace after a couple weeks. Then it was a juvenile ocelaris who lived for a couple months. Then a clown goby who lived for a couple weeks. I evicted the serpent star and a possibly bully adult ocelaris. Then it was another firefish and another clown goby after a couple weeks (found the clown goby body in tact). Evicted the cbs. Then it was another firefish (one day, found body) and clown goby (one week) and ocelaris (about a month).

No behavior or visual change for any of them.

Tank is about a decade old, moved a year ago. Started with live rock.

Filter is ceramic bead (~1/2”) things, not sure the name. I did allot of reading on tanks and intended to start one and learn as I go, but a friend moved and I inherited his tank. I missed much of the learning curve for many of the inhabitants. The tank service isn’t as much of an easy button as I hoped tho.

Will see what the ICP test says.
 
What I do at their instruction is replace about 1/4 of the water (from the bag) with my water, every 10 min, 4 times. That seems to work. The fish have lasted weeks with that method. They do it similarly but a bit quicker. They clown was done that way and lasted almost a month. I'm guessing that isn't the cause... poor acclimatization should be quickly evident?
If you and they are both adding fish to this tank, IMO that's "too many chefs".

Either let them do it, or you take over. At least IMO.

(This doesn't explain anything tho.)

Not sure about their water numbers, but salinity is basically equal. They make their own salt water.

Yes. I've seen mixed opinions on them being predatory. My tank tech was pretty adamant that the CBS was a non issue. She was even skeptical that the serpent star was a problem, but others at the LFS thought it could be hunting. either way, deaths are still occurring.
...and then...
It was a plain black serpent star. His behavior definitely changed when the grama was introduced. He started “tenting” over the grama’s hiding nook.
Serpent star is the only actual suspect I've seen mentioned.

They are capable, he demonstrated intent.

I don't know what else you want to make that a more concrete answer.

You have your guilty party.

There's a recurrent anti-LFS theme you see here, which tho sad could maybe be expected all things considered. It was interesting, however, to see folks cast shade in other directions too. Wow. SMH.
 
I think we may be down to a jealous spouce or significant other playing mischief when the opportunity arises?

Tech Computer GIF by Redbrick
 
How do you have 0 nitrates?
No clue... don'te even know if that's odd. Could just be that there's two small fish in a 32 gal tnak? Inacurate test method with disliked brand? My ICP kit should be here on Friday.
 
Just to reiterate, @Torps your culprit is the serpent start....no question.
 
You have zero nutrients. What are they doing to maintain the tank? Id kick them out and let the tank run for a few months. All you need to do in a biocube with soft coral is water change once a month, 5 gallons, and clean the glass.

Id be the water changes are poorly mixed or heated and they are dying from shock.

Zero nitrate is also a issue, so like i said, thell them to go away for 3 months.
 
3 have disappeared since the serpent was evicted. 2 since the cbs evicted.
A purple firefish dying isn't proof of anythning, sad as it is to say. They are fragile. The clowns are a mystery, but were they really small? IMO the really small ones tend to also be pretty fragile.

The Serpent Star is still the only actual suspect in the whole thread. After him there isn't even a credible wild-a**-guess. Unless the trend continues, I'm prepared to call the recent casualties coincidence. I don't think it will continue. (Let me know!)

I'd definitely let plenty of time pass before I added any more fish.....let whatever this is finish playing out without adding to the cost any more.

As always, patience is a virtue in reefing.
 
A purple firefish dying isn't proof of anythning, sad as it is to say. They are fragile. The clowns are a mystery, but were they really small? IMO the really small ones tend to also be pretty fragile.

The Serpent Star is still the only actual suspect in the whole thread. After him there isn't even a credible wild-a**-guess. Unless the trend continues, I'm prepared to call the recent casualties coincidence. I don't think it will continue. (Let me know!)

I'd definitely let plenty of time pass before I added any more fish.....let whatever this is finish playing out without adding to the cost any more.

As always, patience is a virtue in reefing.
I’ve got another post on here with lots of fire fish woes. Clowns were both juveniles. The first was pretty small, but the second was a decent size. I’m going to let it run, get some better testing supplies, and test everything that goes in. Probably will venture into making my onwn RO/DI. I just need the DI part and I’ll be good.
 
I got the ICP test back. Everything looks pretty good, but I really don’t know what to look for here.
IMG_3041.jpeg
IMG_3042.jpeg
IMG_3043.jpeg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new