Looking for Water Storage Containers

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if anyone has a line of 50(ish) gallon water storage containers. I am looking to get my saltwater mixing station up and going. I made the mistake of buying two poly containers that did not have openings at the bottom. Needless to say, the holes I cut for the bulkheads leave a lot to be desired (so they leak). After buying as much sealant and other food safe junk, I may toss in the towel and get new ones.

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend looking at using uni-seals instead of bulkheads. It's really tough to get bulkheads to seal properly on curved surfaces.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep what they said. The only way that normal bulkheads work on round containers are if the container is flimsy enough to flatten out where the bulkhead is.

OP
OP
C

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! I snagged some uniseals the other day. It is a flat surface as its just a standard rectangular vertical storage container (pic below). I have not given up yet as I have come to far with this stupid thing! Thanks to all for your comments.

Mixing.jpg

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! I snagged some uniseals the other day. It is a flat surface as its just a standard rectangular vertical storage container (pic below). I have not given up yet as I have come to far with this stupid thing! Thanks to all for your comments.

Mixing.jpg
Where did you get those containers?

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try different brands of bulkheads. Hayward makes schedule 80 bulkheads that need a slightly larger hole than their normal schedule 40 competitors. looks like you have the BRS black ones there.

OP
OP
C

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Did you install those lids yourself?
Yes. Used hole cutters and found some large plugs that fit and create an air tight seal.
Here is a pic as it currently sits. I installed new, larger bulkheads and completely redid the bottom. No more leaks.
Sadly, for me, I had a friend who could get me the Norwesco containers shipping free. In my despair, and before I tried to fix bulkheads, I just ordered them. While I wait for them to be delivered, I fixed the issues (pretty easily).
So if you know anyone in the St. Louis area looking to buy a saltwater mixing station (pipe included so it’s almost plug and play), send them my way. ‍♂️

Attachments

• BE284704-B720-425B-9219-3DD032B4491F.jpeg
    BE284704-B720-425B-9219-3DD032B4491F.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 45

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back