Looking to get my first clam! Advice please

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey experts! I am hoping to make the plunge into the world of clams. I have a 135 gallon tank. Reef tank with lots of zoas, some lps , and several sps . Hoping to add my first clam in a couple weeks. I have been doing research on them and would like any helpful info I should know. Such as but not limited to:

1. Which would be recommended to start with?

2. Is there a certain size I need to get?

3. How do you pick out a healthy clam?

4. Tricks to acclimating?

5. How to monitor health?

6. Any advice not typically covered by basic info guides?

looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say. I have been reading about them lots but want to make sure I have everything covered before I move one of these beautiful creatures into my tank. I really want the best for them!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Since you're able to keep sps you must have significant lighting to keep any of the common clams available.
2. Personally I try to get clams over 2 inches.
3. Colorful mantle, responds quickly to movement and shadow, mantle is fully extend and shows no signs of PMD, absence of Pyramid snails. Both shells aline properly. Incurrent and excurrent siphons normal in appearance, no gabbing.
4. Acclimate to temp, pH and SG. I am not a huge fan of drips. Burp clam upon introduction.
5. Watch for PMD and Pyramids, do not place in rock work were the clam has the potential to fall. Acclimate to lighting, and resist urges to move clam around if the clam is doing well in it's current placement. Personally I feel Crocea do better in a depression in the rock work.
6. Monitor and adjust Ca/Mag/Alk as need.

They are relatively easy to sustain if you are able to sustain sps, just keep a close eye on the big 3 chemistry values.

OP
OP
P

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. From a light standpoint, I should be ok I think. I have anywhere between 100 to 350 par at the sand bed depending on the location in the tank. I figured I would start the clam somewhere in the tank where the par is around 150-200 and then let him get use to the light. A few follow up questions.

1. What are the recommended Ca/Mag/Alk measurements for clams? is 420/1380/8.5 reasonable?

2. How do you tell the difference between PMD and the clam just partially closed up?

3. What does incurrent and excurrent siphons normal in appearance look like? Any obvious signs to avoid?

Thanks!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those values are fine for the big 3.
PMD is a ruffling of the edges of the mantle, once the clam is remaining partially closed the disease is advanced.
When they gab you can usually see right into the internal structures of the clam pretty well. The edges will appear saggy around the siphons. Often you see a little gabbing during initial acclimation.

Matt888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't go wrong with a Deresa for your first one and they do come in a nice variety of mantle patterns. They are hardy and typically double in size every 1-2 yrs if you're looking to have a large specimen quickly. Love mine!

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep a Duresa alive. I've attempted two. Both died relatively quickly. I've been able to keep every other clam and they are thriving.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my T. Crocea for almost 3yrs. About 12" from my T5HO on a half clam shell sitting on the rock. I didn't acclimate nor burp it. It was 3" upon arrival to my tank.
I keep my parameter steady via bi-weekly 20% WC's. No dosing anything. It's now 6" :)
Can't keep an sps alive no matter how hard I try-lol.
e2u2ytuq.jpg

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking clam but watch out once you get bit by the clam bug it s tough to stop getting them

OP
OP
P

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking clam but watch out once you get bit by the clam bug it s tough to stop getting them

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, I am afraid it is too late! lol. I keep looking at photos on line thinking about which one I am going to get next. haha.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lol, yes very true. Never liked clams until I bought one, now I have to have at least one in the tank.

Love my Derasa.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete H I know that clam, and what store you got it from. Nice looking piece, I was sad to see it want in the tank anymore....

OP
OP
P

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete H I know that clam, and what store you got it from. Nice looking piece, I was sad to see it want in the tank anymore....

I had to take it home when I saw it in the display at the LFS. It was too pretty to pass up!

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I help Craig and john out, I cut a ton of frags for them. If you looked there was a huge pot of gold favia next to it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back