Is Lanthanum Chloride Safe to Use with Clams

Frugal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some Phosphate RX to help control the phosphates in my 180 gallon mixed reef. I currently have two maxima clams that are each about 6". I researched the issues caused by lanthanum precipitate and how to properly dose it, but I was unable to find a lot of information on the precipitates potential issues with clams. Any advice from anyone who has used lanthanum chloride in a tank with clams would be much appreciated.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have caution and watch for ill affects. Do you not have a way to filter it out?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lanthanum can be dangerous no matter what animals you have, so you need to be careful. Just make sure it doesn't get to the animals and you'll be okay, but I would use a very small amount or find a different method to lower PO4. My PO4 is 0.25 or higher and I'm carbon dosing with TM Elimi-NP, so I don't find PO4 to be a bad thing as much as other people do. I think people see a number and freak out, but don't actually look at the health of their animals to see if there are any issues.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it into my skimmer neck no issues , I dilute about 10 ml into 2 to 3 cups

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Just dose it into a 5 or 10 micron sock and not worry. I’ve dosed it directly on a skimmer. The socks are the best so you know it’s not going anywhere.

I had two large clams, a maxima and a deresa and they were fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7720.png
    IMG_7720.png
    965 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7721.png
    IMG_7721.png
    947.5 KB · Views: 22

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of a technique where you carefully dose it into a fine mesh filter sock. If you do that, the particles of Lanthanum Chloride should precipitate into the sock only. Then, when done, just pull the sock out.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there's already a thread, I have some correlation between clam irritation and lanthanum chloride dosing. I've had both as part of my system for a couple of years, and while smaller maintenance doses of lanthanum don't seem to have an effect, 50% larger doses for knocking down phosphate levels do at least seem to tick them off, leading to a clam that has been acting normally to almost not open up the day following the dose.

It's an observation, and it does seem to be concentration dependent, at least, and the clams I've noticed it with have been Derasas, but it's happened enough times that I am convinced it could be related to the dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back