Looking to see large colonies.

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone actually grow out large colonies of high end zoas anymore? Seems like its all gardens or when people get more than a handful of named zoas they frag them out. Would love to see a massive cunk of some GMK, grimm reaper etc

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the answer is no if they are smart, they cut them and sell them before the price plunges on them

anyone paying over $100 a polyp for a zoa is crazy. first most grow like weeds, so in a year or 2 price will crash or they melt like crazy and your just wasting your money anyway :)

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes high end zoas high end is that it isn't easy or quick to grow large colonies. If it gets too the point where more than a few people have large colonies, they stop being high end

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes high end zoas high end is that it isn't easy or quick to grow large colonies. If it gets too the point where more than a few people have large colonies, they stop being high end
Don’t take this wrong not insulting you. But they are only high end because some online place put a big price tag and we are too stupid and by them

sometimes the high end zoas are pretty but a lot of times no prettier than the $20 ones

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t take this wrong not insulting you. But they are only high end because some online place put a big price tag and we are too stupid and by them

sometimes the high end zoas are pretty but a lot of times no prettier than the $20 ones
Supply and demand. Some zoas are gorgeous and aquarists can charge a premium because they aren't quick to grow. I've personally not spent more than $40/polyp, but in my next tank I will definitely get a few designers!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's my point. Sunny D was high end. But it grew fast, and stopped being high end. Now it's one of the cheapest ones. The stuff being hyped today will either not be high end in 5 years, or really just grows really slow.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years is a long time for most people. I'm two months in to the hobby and would love to look at a few GMK or Hephaestus today!

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years is a long time for most people. I'm two months in to the hobby and would love to look at a few GMK or Hephaestus today
Gmk used to be 1250 a head. Now you can get them for 125
All we are saying is they jack up the price. Others who get similar wild looking corals will also sell at a high price. Thereby driving demand up while the high price keeps supply low. Until too many people have them , then the online retailers have to go into the next wild zoa that comes in

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back