Looking to stock 72 gallon

scubadude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to start up a fish only 72 gallon tank. I have a reef tank where I cant put triggers, angels puffers, butterfly fish or the fun snow flake eel. So I want a tank to have fish that I cant have in a reef tank. Of those mentioned can they all be added? Anything I should take into consideration before I start picking fish. Also would tangs hold there own with this type of tank mates?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed ... and by rather a lot.

Very few of the fish you mention will be comfortable, long-term, in a 72 gallon tank. You could try some of their smaller cousins - a dwarf angel, a "toby" puffer, maybe a golden dwarf moray . . .

~Bruce

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that most of that list should be nixed. A Snowflake Eel could work, a Dwarf Angel would be fine in a 72 and a small butterflyfish (ie Spotband or Lemon/Milletseed would be good choices). A Toby Puffer could work as well, but I'm not sure how they would all work together in the same tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe something like:

Fuzzy dwarf lion
Lemonpeel angel
Valentini puffer
Melanurus wrasse
Pearlscale butterfly

OP
OP
S

scubadude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking dwarf lion ,angel I like the valentini puffer I will look at the other fish recommendation. This all started with me getting a 20 long for quarantine tank and my girlfriend saying what about a bigger fish only. I love tanks so who am I to say no. Lol the 20 long quarantine with be below the main tank. Best of both worlds I just need to research which fit is best fot the health of my new fish..

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be limited to Dwarf Angels in that size tank and need to be aware that the puffers can be fin nippers (although the Lion should be safe). Just me personally, but I would skip the Dwarf Angel and the Butterflyfish and just go for a predator tank with the lion, puffer and maybe a type of eel, this way you are matching up fish/eels that will leave each other alone.

OP
OP
S

scubadude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about getting rid of puffer,I like the niger trigger better or any trigger for that matter. If I want to go dwaft lion, snow flake eel and a trigger. Would those 3 get along? What other fish might I be able to add?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger trigger gets a foot long, not counting streamers.

I wouldn't recommend any trigger for that tank size

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about getting rid of puffer,I like the niger trigger better or any trigger for that matter. If I want to go dwaft lion, snow flake eel and a trigger. Would those 3 get along? What other fish might I be able to add?

Triggers are completely out for that tank. The smallest trigger fish gets 10 inches long and needs a MINIMUM of 125 gallons (Blue Throat Trigger). The Puffer would be a much better choice.

OP
OP
S

scubadude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if I went with dwarf loin, snow flake eel and a dwaft angel(flame) pearlscale butterfly and maybe a wrasse. Would that work Not sure how many fish I can have. Sorry for all the questions my other tank is a 120 reef so I dont have many fish its more towards corals.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if I went with dwarf loin, snow flake eel and a dwaft angel(flame) pearlscale butterfly and maybe a wrasse. Would that work Not sure how many fish I can have. Sorry for all the questions my other tank is a 120 reef so I dont have many fish its more towards corals.

The question is whether or not the Lion would consider some of those fish food. Butterflyfish generally do not do well with aggression and the Flame Angel is likely to consider a fish of a similar profile and size as competition/threat. I still feel it's best not to mix predators with regular fish in captivity, but that's just me.

OP
OP
S

scubadude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fish are in the predator family so I can think about just those. I also am thinking of bumping up to either 100 or 110

OP
OP
S

scubadude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry about going to big because the fish tank is going on the second floor of my house

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not so much about the family vs what they eat. A Puffer isn't necessarily a big predator but it's venom and sharp beak will definitely keep other fish away. The Lionfish will eat anything that can fit in it's mouth and the eel is an eel. It's possible that one of the larger venomous blennies might work in that tank (ie Midas, Striped, Forktail) but I would want other opinions on that.

OP
OP
S

scubadude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the imput it gives me options to look into. Ideally the biggest tank I can put upstairs will give me the best options. I want whats going to not stress out the fish and give me some stress relief at the same time

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.9%
Back