Looks like a tooth growing out of tangs head

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that fish is injured. Looks like those are the premaxilla bones protruding from it's skin. Would have been a heck of a collision with a rock or the glass to cause those bones to protrude to the extent they appear.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have absolutely no idea however it does look like a bone shard or such. sorry for the fish but very interesting !
try a fish trap to capture it. iv'e found tangs to be greedy & some food in a trap would be irresistible to the fish .

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a injury to me . How long have you had him ? If not long Maybe it’s working it’s way out and didn’t notice before? I’m no expert but it looks to thick for parasite. Following along , I’m eager to see what this is

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really long shot here, but there have been medical cases in humans where something caused an extra tooth or bone to grow in the wrong place, I wonder if this might be the case? You might want to reach out to your local aquarium or research institution, they may find this interesting as well.

Manthanol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really long shot here, but there have been medical cases in humans where something caused an extra tooth or bone to grow in the wrong place, I wonder if this might be the case? You might want to reach out to your local aquarium or research institution, they may find this interesting as well.
It's a possibility but the OP mentioned it grew out in one day, and it takes time to grow out a tooth. Truly weird, following.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a possibility but the OP mentioned it grew out in one day, and it takes time to grow out a tooth. Truly weird, following.

Ah, I forgot that. It was just a random thought that popped into my head with no regard for what information had been discussed lol.

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had him almost 2 years. Yesterday there was a big one and a small one . Today I don't see the small one. I almost caught him. I will try again tomorrow.

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190408_121706.jpg
I think I found what it was. I noticed my meat coral shriveled up. Then I noticed a crack in the rock. Then I see one of the pieces of its skeleton sticking out that looked like the tooth stuck in the fangs head. He must of swam into at full speed it impale a piece of skeleton in his head and break the rock. He is acting and eat fine, just has a scare between his eyes. Thanks for all the replies and concern. I had no idea what it was.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190408_121706.jpg
I think I found what it was. I noticed my meat coral shriveled up. Then I noticed a crack in the rock. Then I see one of the pieces of its skeleton sticking out that looked like the tooth stuck in the fangs head. He must of swam into at full speed it impale a piece of skeleton in his head and break the rock. He is acting and eat fine, just has a scare between his eyes. Thanks for all the replies and concern. I had no idea what it was.

I’m glad you found the cause, now maybe you should get his eyes checked!

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your Tang impaled himself on a coral. I've seen Tangs do some impressively stupid things (they love to eat new coral glue! idiots) but that one is new on me....
About a year ago I had to catch him. He had tried to eat wet glue. He had a big piece stuck to his lip.

Back