Looks like Coralline but feels too early?

Mr.Bigglesworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just looking for some insight and advice, last post I got some great tips and added a Hygger Nano Mini to increase the flow.

This go around, my rock is starting to develop these pink/red/purple spots and I’m wondering if it’s coralline or cyano.

I’m gunna get a baster today and try and see if it blows off, but wanted some insight from those that have more experience with what coralline looks like while developing.

For context, I did get some shells from my LFS with coralline covered in them, scraped them off best i could with a hobby knife, and dosed it into the tank before getting any fish. I also have a hermit who has coralline in his shell and he crawls up and down the aquascape all day.

Thing is, this tank is only 1 month old, and most posts say that you won’t see coralline for 3-6 months. I don’t know if I should be excited or start taking measures to fend off a cyano outbreak.

Any insight is helpful and thank you all!

IMG_4938.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be corraline.. you can hit it with a turkey baster and see if it blows off or not to confirm.. if it blows off it’s cyano.. if it’s hard and doesn’t really come off you got some corraline..

OP
OP
M

Mr.Bigglesworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be corraline.. you can hit it with a turkey baster and see if it blows off or not to confirm.. if it blows off it’s cyano.. if it’s hard and doesn’t really come off you got some corraline..
I appreciate your response on this and figured I’d circle back around - I was in fact wishful thinking and it did turn out to be diatoms, not coralline like I naively was hoping Phosphates lowered and it’s already worked it’s way out but thank you for the response regardless, helpful for someone beginning!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your response on this and figured I’d circle back around - I was in fact wishful thinking and it did turn out to be diatoms, not coralline like I naively was hoping Phosphates lowered and it’s already worked it’s way out but thank you for the response regardless, helpful for someone beginning!
Coralline will appear on your plastic parts like powerheads long before rocks in your tank if conditions are favorable.

Attachments

• 20220325_164400.jpg
    20220325_164400.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 35

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back