Looks like Pop Eye HELP

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this guy in from someone that kept him in a very small tank. He’s been in QT for a few days and then eyes were large but they’re especially large today. He is not eating and looks like he can’t see since he’s bumping into things. Looks like he wants to eat as he gets excited when food hits the water but can’t seem to find it. Water quality is good with no meds as I’m trying to get him to eat first. Is this pop eye? What’s the treatment? Anything I can buy at petco?

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you currently running any meds?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No meds. Salinity is at 1.020, ph 8.1, ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate at 2.5. Temp is 78

I’m aerating the water fairly heavily.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! I also believe that erythromycin works great for eye infections as well.
+1 on this ^^^. An alternative that also works well on these types of eye infections is Neoplex by Seachem.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not like a ballon bursting, but they can lose sight if the infection does enough internal damage :(

This is what I’m worried about. He seems to be bumping into things as he swims. I’ll give him the night off and do a water change and re medicate per the bottle.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m worried about. He seems to be bumping into things as he swims. I’ll give him the night off and do a water change and re medicate per the bottle.

They can also lose temporary Vision as the eyes sometimes cloud when infected.

You have gotten excellent advice from The guys so far!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay- quick update. Did a 50% water change and dosed metro again per the bottle. The good news is, his eyes didn’t get any bigger... but the bad news is they didn’t get any smaller either.

He did eat today. Served up LRS reef frenzy mixed with frozen shrimp soaked in garlic and vitality. He 100% has trouble seeing because he gets super excited but can’t seem to find the food. Feeding him slowly to make sure he eats. Will his vision correct itself or is it impossible to tell at this point?

Kanaplex and neoplex will be arriving tomorrow. Can I dose all three together?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay- quick update. Did a 50% water change and dosed metro again per the bottle. The good news is, his eyes didn’t get any bigger... but the bad news is they didn’t get any smaller either.

He did eat today. Served up LRS reef frenzy mixed with frozen shrimp soaked in garlic and vitality. He 100% has trouble seeing because he gets super excited but can’t seem to find the food. Feeding him slowly to make sure he eats. Will his vision correct itself or is it impossible to tell at this point?

Kanaplex and neoplex will be arriving tomorrow. Can I dose all three together?
You can use the 3 together.

Keep in mind as well fish are often times very slow to respond to antibiotics, it may take 7-10 days before you see improvement. As long as it's not worsening don't panic.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back