Loosing fish

Ray0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 tank . It’s been running for 3 years . Added a blue throat trigger a month ago then two weeks later added 2 tangs . All fish have been eating and active . A week ago a started loosing fish . Blue throat, yellow eye tang, flame angel, and a saddle back clown . Water quality is good RO unit , reef octopus skimmer ,20 Gallon sump . Running metal halides 2 of them , with 2 sets of T5s . Water parameters are good . Checked twice by me and fish store . Every day now I wake up to another dead fish . Only one at a time . Porcupine puffer, two Huma Huma triggers, and a flame hawk . I do have soft corals. Any ideas? I’m loosing one fish a day now . I lost flame angel he’s been in tank over a year, lost the saddle back clown also been in tank over a year. Blue throat and yellow eye tang latest additions a month and two weeks ago ? Thank you all in adavance fir your help

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 tank . It’s been running for 3 years . Added a blue throat trigger a month ago then two weeks later added 2 tangs . All fish have been eating and active . A week ago a started loosing fish . Blue throat, yellow eye tang, flame angel, and a saddle back clown . Water quality is good RO unit , reef octopus skimmer ,20 Gallon sump . Running metal halides 2 of them , with 2 sets of T5s . Water parameters are good . Checked twice by me and fish store . Every day now I wake up to another dead fish . Only one at a time . Porcupine puffer, two Huma Huma triggers, and a flame hawk . I do have soft corals. Any ideas
Sorry for the lost fish.
If you want our best help, we need you to list all the water parameters and your feeding regimen.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Sorry for your loss. Did you QT the blue throat trigger and two tangs before you added them to the DT?

Same as @Pistondog what are your parameters and any other changes to your tank routine besides the fish?

OP
OP
R

Ray0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters .pH at 8.3 Ammonia
Sorry for the lost fish.
If you want our best help, we need you to list all the water parameters and your feeding regimen.

Parameters are pH 8.3 Amonniia zero, Nitrate <30 ppm , Nitrate < 1.5 Temp 78.2, Salinity 1.019

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the blue throat trigger and two tangs before you added them to the DT? If yes, how long were they in QT?

OP
OP
R

Ray0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a skimmer?
Yes a Red Octopus.

D7A81C32-9D64-4946-B545-563E6CC60D8A.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Ray0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the blue throat trigger and two tangs before you added them to the DT? If yes, how long were they in QT?
No I did not quarantine them . I need to get a quarantine tank . I’m looking to buy one as of now thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A picture or two of current fish and a few questions below will help us better assess your issue:

How did you acclimate them?
Also what is age of tank as I am getting a vibe that this is a rather new tank and is subject to ammonia and nitrate swings.
Also what is tank temp and salinity?
Are you using RO water or tap water from the faucet?
What test kit(s) are you suing?

OP
OP
R

Ray0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture or two of current fish and a few questions below will help us better assess your issue:

How did you acclimate them?
Also what is age of tank as I am getting a vibe that this is a rather new tank and is subject to ammonia and nitrate swings.
Also what is tank temp and salinity?
Are you using RO water or tap water from the faucet?
What test kit(s) are you suing?
The tank has been up and running for 3 years . Have had puffer 2 Huma triggers , flame hawk, saddle back clown , flame angel,
These fish have been in this tank 3 years now . I added a blue throat trigger a month again. Added a yellow tang and a yellow-eyed tang two weeks ago . All fish were eating good until this past Wednesday 9/23/2020 I lost the blue throat trigger ,yellow eyed , saddle back clow , todaythe flame Angel . I did a 30% water change . I’m hoping tank is better tomorrow. Thank you for responding and appreciate any advice you can share

OP
OP
R

Ray0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been up and running for 3 years . Have had puffer 2 Huma triggers , flame hawk, saddle back clown , flame angel,
These fish have been in this tank 3 years now . I added a blue throat trigger a month again. Added a yellow tang and a yellow-eyed tang two weeks ago . All fish were eating good until this past Wednesday 9/23/2020 I lost the blue throat trigger ,yellow eyed , saddle back clow , todaythe flame Angel . I did a 30% water change . I’m hoping tank is better tomorrow. Thank you for responding and appreciate any advice you can share

8450838D-6784-43E5-BAC9-40C462975836.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1018.MOV
    22.7 MB
  • IMG_1015.MOV
    13.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How were they acclimated?
Flame appears to have some type of fungus and /or flukes in the pic.
Any heavy breathing or itching and twitching you noticed? I wonder f fluke were present on fish when you brought them in which is hard to detect especially on light colored fish such as yellow tang

OP
OP
R

Ray0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were they acclimated?
Flame appears to have some type of fungus and /or flukes in the pic.
Any heavy breathing or itching and twitching you noticed? I wonder f fluke were present on fish when you brought them in which is hard to detect especially on light colored fish such as yellow tang
None of the fished seemed stressed or breathing hard . Fluke is a possibility. I’m hoping for the best in the morning. All fish ate good today . Thank you . I’ll post in the morning. Hopefully no more dead fish

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back