LordNecro's Red Sea Max Nano

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I recently joined nano reef and am going to start my first tank hopefully in the coming weeks! I am currently in the planning stage but very close to buying everything. Since this is my first tank I have been doing tons of research but any comments regarding equipment would be appreciated. I also have some questions so if anyone could answer that would be amazing as well.

Purchase List:

Tank:
Red Sea Max Nano Complete Reef System (20 gal) Black
Built-in sump, protein skimmer, and filter
30lb CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
20lb CaribSea Liferock Dry Live Rock
AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro 120P - Auto Top Off System
Trigger Systems Triton ATO 5 Gallon Reservoir
75W Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater
EcoTech Vortech MP10WQD Quietdrive Propeller Pump
Zacro LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature

Tests/Maintenance:

Hanna Instruments ALKALINITY DKH COLORIMETER HI772 HANNA CHECKER - MARINE WATER
Hanna Instruments PHOSPHATE ULTRA LOW RANGE PPM COLORIMETER HI774 HANNA CHECKER - MARINE WATER
Red Sea Calcium Pro Test Kit
Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
BRS Refractometer
Flipper Nano Magnetic Cleaner
Heavy Duty Specimen Container - small

Cycling:
Dr. Tim's 2oz One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria
Dr. Tim's 2oz Ammonium Chloride for Fishless Cycles

Fish Food:
Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen Mysis Shrimp 16oz Flat Pack
Reef Nutrition 16oz Small TDO-C2 Chroma Boost
Piscine Energetics 1mm Saltwater Fish Food pellets

Other:
BRS 20G Tube Extra Thick Gel Super Glue
Coral RX Pro Concentrated Coral DIp 1oz

Stock:
2 designer clownfish (Perhaps Frostbite, Platinum Storm, Snow Storm, or Premium Black Snowflake)
Flagtail Pink Bar Goby
Swissguard Basslet

CUC:
17 Dwarf Ceriths
4 Nassarius
5 Florida Ceriths
3 Astraea Snails
3 Assorted Hermits
1 Emerald or Ruby Mithrax Crabs

Coral:
Basically all sources say start with zeos, polys, mushrooms and the like. So currently I'm planning to add coral after my cycle and clown fish and CUC is added.
Pacific Flower Mushroom Rock Ricordea Yuma Indonesia (or Sunkiss Bounce)
Aussie Gold Torch Coral
Palythoa sp. - Sonic Flare Palys - 1" WYSIWYG Frag
Sarcophyton sp. - Japanese Long Tentacle Toadstool Leather - 1" Stock Specimen
Euphyllia parancora - Double Indo Gold Branching Hammer - 1.5" Stock Frag
WWC AOI Zoanthids
(SPS in the future? Interested in tons of BattleCoral frags)
Any other corals that you guys think would fit? (I like rare and really colorful ones)

Now for the questions lol
So is this too much coral to start with? Also when do you think would be good to add sps coral? I know that my tank has to be really stable for sps coral to grow so I guess maybe a few months.

Should I get a different lighting option then the Al Prime HD provided with the nano? If you recognize the corals I'm planning to start with they are pretty expensive so I'm definitely ok with shelling a few hundred dollars for a better light for my coral to thrive.

What about dosing and coral feeding? Research so far for me is the census that sometimes weekly water changes are fine for softies and hardy coral, however, dosing and coral feeding would be beneficial for coral. So my question is what methods of dosing do you prefer (2-part, by hand?), and what equipment would you recommend.

Lastly, what else should I buy regarding equipment? I'm looking for a siphon and supplies for water changes currently so any opinions on that would be amazing!

Well thats it for now. For those of you who read this I thank you. I can't wait to dive into this hobby and have a beautiful nano reef tank. I will update this journal pretty frequently so you guys can see the coral growing and my progress.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I recently joined nano reef and am going to start my first tank hopefully in the coming weeks! I am currently in the planning stage but very close to buying everything. Since this is my first tank I have been doing tons of research but any comments regarding equipment would be appreciated. I also have some questions so if anyone could answer that would be amazing as well.

Purchase List:

Tank:
Red Sea Max Nano Complete Reef System (20 gal) Black
Built-in sump, protein skimmer, and filter
30lb CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
20lb CaribSea Liferock Dry Live Rock
AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro 120P - Auto Top Off System
Trigger Systems Triton ATO 5 Gallon Reservoir
75W Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater
EcoTech Vortech MP10WQD Quietdrive Propeller Pump
Zacro LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature

Tests/Maintenance:

Hanna Instruments ALKALINITY DKH COLORIMETER HI772 HANNA CHECKER - MARINE WATER
Hanna Instruments PHOSPHATE ULTRA LOW RANGE PPM COLORIMETER HI774 HANNA CHECKER - MARINE WATER
Red Sea Calcium Pro Test Kit
Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
BRS Refractometer
Flipper Nano Magnetic Cleaner
Heavy Duty Specimen Container - small

Cycling:
Dr. Tim's 2oz One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria
Dr. Tim's 2oz Ammonium Chloride for Fishless Cycles

Fish Food:
Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen Mysis Shrimp 16oz Flat Pack
Reef Nutrition 16oz Small TDO-C2 Chroma Boost
Piscine Energetics 1mm Saltwater Fish Food pellets

Other:
BRS 20G Tube Extra Thick Gel Super Glue
Coral RX Pro Concentrated Coral DIp 1oz

Stock:
2 designer clownfish (Perhaps Frostbite, Platinum Storm, Snow Storm, or Premium Black Snowflake)
Flagtail Pink Bar Goby
Swissguard Basslet

CUC:
17 Dwarf Ceriths
4 Nassarius
5 Florida Ceriths
3 Astraea Snails
3 Assorted Hermits
1 Emerald or Ruby Mithrax Crabs

Coral:
Basically all sources say start with zeos, polys, mushrooms and the like. So currently I'm planning to add coral after my cycle and clown fish and CUC is added.
Pacific Flower Mushroom Rock Ricordea Yuma Indonesia (or Sunkiss Bounce)
Aussie Gold Torch Coral
Palythoa sp. - Sonic Flare Palys - 1" WYSIWYG Frag
Sarcophyton sp. - Japanese Long Tentacle Toadstool Leather - 1" Stock Specimen
Euphyllia parancora - Double Indo Gold Branching Hammer - 1.5" Stock Frag
WWC AOI Zoanthids
(SPS in the future? Interested in tons of BattleCoral frags)
Any other corals that you guys think would fit? (I like rare and really colorful ones)

Now for the questions lol
So is this too much coral to start with? Also when do you think would be good to add sps coral? I know that my tank has to be really stable for sps coral to grow so I guess maybe a few months.

Should I get a different lighting option then the Al Prime HD provided with the nano? If you recognize the corals I'm planning to start with they are pretty expensive so I'm definitely ok with shelling a few hundred dollars for a better light for my coral to thrive.

What about dosing and coral feeding? Research so far for me is the census that sometimes weekly water changes are fine for softies and hardy coral, however, dosing and coral feeding would be beneficial for coral. So my question is what methods of dosing do you prefer (2-part, by hand?), and what equipment would you recommend.

Lastly, what else should I buy regarding equipment? I'm looking for a siphon and supplies for water changes currently so any opinions on that would be amazing!

Well thats it for now. For those of you who read this I thank you. I can't wait to dive into this hobby and have a beautiful nano reef tank. I will update this journal pretty frequently so you guys can see the coral growing and my progress.
Thanks so much for including out TDO in the diet of your animals! Hope you get some help with your questions.

Best,
Chad

Toadpapa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great list. Did you end up purchasing all that equipment, anything you wish you got instead or anything you decided you didn’t need. Picked up a max nano tonight so looking for ideas

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great list. Did you end up purchasing all that equipment, anything you wish you got instead or anything you decided you didn’t need. Picked up a max nano tonight so looking for ideas
Hey! Check out my build thread, I have basically everything I use on it. But looking over the list again yup I bought everything, except I got a 100w heater instead of the 75w and a cooling fan as its getting hot in NYC. I would get Fritz turbostart instead of Dr. Tim's to cycle the tank as I didn't like Dr. Tim's and turbostart seems like a much better option.

Back