Losing Bacteria?

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing a water change, if you vacuum the sand substrate are you actually vacuuming out the good bacteria or not?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When doing a water change, if you vacuum the sand substrate are you actually vacuuming out the good bacteria or not?
Detritus more than bacteria. Do feel free to add .5 ml per 10 gallons daily

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You take out micro-fauna in your sandbed, good guys and bad, of all sizes.
Is that bad, no, in moderation it’s fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many of the bacteria in a sand bed will be attached to the sand grains.

More problematic may be moving them to a different environment where they may not thrive as well. Say, 1" down where they were happy to near the surface where they may not be, etc.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 100% yes you are removing them

I'd also say based on fifty pages logged in the sand rinse thread of completely removing sandbeds all at once, not just cleaning them, that losing those bac didn't matter at all. so the final summary is you're removing bacteria that you dont need, and isn't integral or required in the system they're just tolerated bioload. sandbeds are optional zones in reefing and can be installed/removed certain ways instantly, without ramp down time.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You take out micro-fauna in your sandbed, good guys and bad, of all sizes.
Is that bad, no, in moderation it’s fine.
I mostly see pyramid snails. Amphipods hide in the rocks. I did not vacuum my sand bed the first 3 months I had my current tank. Started dealing with cyano because of overfeeding coral food. I vacuum it every week now or whenever I change water. I love that the sand looks near white and no detritus. First time I vacuumed there was a lot of dusty detritus that was removed. Just like the dirty stuff you see in your sump. Leave piece. Disgusting.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thats fun to consider. that's the biggest water change possible plus sandbed attack in reefing, how'd it turn out after a few weeks lookback

anything you're considering is much nicer than that.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be insignificant amount. You can't vacuum the sand under the rocks, and you are likely only vacuuming the surface of the sand. Beneficial bacteria grow on the live rock surfaces, insides of the glass, on surfaces of all your machines, etc... so if you are removing bacteria it would be minimal and will grow back quickly. Of course, I'm not a scientist this is just my opinion from my googling and my experience.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would say 100% yes you are removing them

I'd also say based on fifty pages logged in the sand rinse thread of completely removing sandbeds all at once, not just cleaning them, that losing those bac didn't matter at all.

agreed. unless you did something extreme, just vacuuming out the sandbed will remove some amount of bacteria, but will be easily and quickly recolonized to whatever bacterial population your level of nutrients will support.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back