Loss of Livestock

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what happened. My livestock was fine yesterday and my LFS told me to do a 50% water change to help with my nitrates. I did the change and then this morning when I woke up both my tangs and my arrow crab were dead. No clue waht could have happened.I checked my parameters and everyhting was in check. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks​

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the tank? A 50% water change could have adverse effects on the livestock especially if the new water's parameters were much different than the water in the tank.
If I were you I would check the parameters right now and compare them to what they were before you did the water change.
Remember, rapid changes are never good in a reef aquarium even if the changes are an improvement in water quality.

JaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you get the water from to perform the water change; what was the quality of this water?

OP
OP
W

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 0ppm, nitrates 1ppm, temp. 78, alk. 2.6, pH did was at 8.1 before and immediatly after, but seems to have dropped to 7.4 today. How could that happen? How to I get it back where it is suppose to be?

OP
OP
W

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. specific gravity was 1.024. the odd thing is my blue leg hermits and snails are still alive.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one 2 tangs in a 29 is insane. And 2 how long has the tank been set up? And tap water most likely has chlorine in it and is what killed your fish if your not prepping the water right.

JaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my tap. same place i have gotten the water for the last 2 months
did you provide any filtration for this tap water proir to use (RO or DI)? Was it de-chlorinated? How long was the water and salt mixed before use?

nano junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% in general is beyond over kill it will almost definetley cause enough stress to kill most species of fish especially tangs, you need to test your tap water and see its params im almost certain the ph is around 7 and dont put anymore tangs in a 29 thats just cruel

OP
OP
W

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No RO or DI filtration, don't have one. Water was dechlorinated and dechloramined before introduction into tank. Water and salt were mixed completely and at correct temp for about 30 minutes before introduction into tank. tank has been set up for a bit over a month

Last edited:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water is not fully mixed after 30 min. Most all salt. Buckets will say mix atleast 4-6 hours and if possible #24 hours. I think with the water change you did you changed the water quality to fast. What was your nitrates at before?

And like already said tangs don't belong in a 29 gal

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all of the previous comments. Probably a combo of change in parameters, using tap water and not mixing the water long enough.

I'd suggest investing in a RO/DI filter, you can pick one up from Bulk Reef Supply for a pretty reasonable price.

Also, I HIGHLY suggest not going back to that LFS. Any LFS that recommends a 50% water change due to Nitrates when there probably weren't any visible issues doesn't deserve the business and will only do more harm than good to your tank.

JaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No RO or DI filtration, don't have one. Water was dechlorinated and dechloramined before introduction into tank. Water and salt were mixed completely and at correct temp for about 30 minutes before introduction into tank. tank has been set up for a bit over a month
Always a good idea to let your new seawater mix for 24 hours; 4 hours in an emergency. Many chemical reactions are taking place in the seawater during this peroid; even though all the salt seems dissolved. Sorry about your Tangs; sadly a 29 is waay to small for them, look for smaller 'nano' fish when you restock. dechlorinator can be deadly if too much is used, be sure to check your dosage next time or invest in an RO/DI system or at the least purchase a 'Whole House Filter' and put a carbon block in it.
The best advice for you going forward is to always remember to take baby steps; reefs hate large quick changes. Imagine yourself in the baking sun then suddenly your drenched with icey water; quite shocking to the system isn't it. Same difference here; when making changes make them slow.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that the water change killed them. Thats too much of a percentage at one time.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one more agreement. A 50% water change is alot. The only time I would go to that extreme is if there was something in my tank that was dire to get out. If you are mixing water from the tap I do not think you can get an acurate reading on any of the perimeters after a salt mix of that short time. PH, Alk, even sality will not give you a correct reading right after a fresh mix. If you used a chemical decholorinator I wonder if that would have any effect at that level of use. Your LFS should have asked questions about your circumstances first, then they never would have suggested that. With the tang/tank ratio even numerous water changes would not lower your nitrates for more than a day or two.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one 2 tangs in a 29 is insane. And 2 how long has the tank been set up? And tap water most likely has chlorine in it and is what killed your fish if your not prepping the water right.

i would have to agree with alex .. the chlorine killed your fish ..

OP
OP
W

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has talked me through everything so far and i trust what they say. especially the one i go to. they have the best fish around and have told me that they wouldn't sell me some things b/c they wouldn't do well in my tank. the tangs were only about an inch long anyways so they had plenty of room for the moment. Like i said, my LFS has been completly up front with me about everything. The reason they told me to do a 50 percent change was my nitrates were in the red from overfeeding. this was a beginner mistake on my part though.​

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 164 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back