Lost Coral

  • Thread starter Thread starter Freenow54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Freenow54

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2021
Messages
7,577
Reaction score
6,048
Location
Ontario Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it possible to literally lose a Coral overnight? It was thriving , next day bleached . I don't want to get into parameters now it is closing the barn door after the animal gets out. In the past my parameters were fine except high magnesium which Randy Holmes says is not important . Dose A- K+ weekly water changes . I have one Coral left after starting with over a dozen. Have added An AI Grow , and an AI Glow to fill the gap between my AI primes . set with 0 uv, 75 violet, 71 rv, 116 blue, 82 cw. My Primes are 0uv ,75 violet , 71 rv 0 green , 0 red , no moonlight , 82 cw . Any imput as to what I am missing ? Trying the no Par measurement thing which was a hot debate a short time ago. I own an Apogee but put it away . I don't feed the coral . They are at different levels in the tank. Not a controlled Frag Tank . The lights are off from 7 PM till 6:30 AM
 
How recently was the lighting change? Could be coral warfare. Could be a parameter change. What kind of coral was it? I’m sorry for your loss. This hobby can be frustrating for sure. We are keeping some finicky critters.
 
Which coral died? How did it die, I mean did it turn white, melt away, did it fast or slow? How long was the coral in your tank for?
 
I don't understand your reasoning for not wanting to supply or talk about water parameters? Lighting definitely isn't going to kill a coral overnight. Any pests that you know of?
 
Which coral died? How did it die, I mean did it turn white, melt away, did it fast or slow? How long was the coral in your tank for?
I have no idea what happened . I have had it on a frag rack for months , as I have tried to remedy the problem with others. As I said it literally happened over night . It was bleached in the morning . I hammered it with A- and K+ as I felt I had nothing to lose . It actually shows some colour now.m Thats it on the left when I first got it. ( purple/ green )
1000002187.jpg
 
An SPS coral can certainly completely RTN overnight. I would be careful about the trace element dosing. I was blindly dosing A- and K+ at the maximum recommended rates and after several months I started losing a lot of my older established SPS colonies to RTN. I decided to back-up and cut out all dosing except the majors (alk, Ca and Mg) and the RTN issues have stopped. I am a firm believer that you can cause problems with most any of these additives
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new