Lost Ricordea...

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved my coral frag order from a reputable online vendor the other day. When I opened the florida ricordea bag, he was detached from his plug. So I glued him to another piece of rubble and he was fine for a few days. Now, he is gone and I do not see him.

The frustrating part is that he was $25 and is/was the size of your pinky fingernail...

I don't see him anywhere.

What are the odds I see him in a few months?

Florida Ricordea 2-19-19.jpeg

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it. But probably very low odds depending how big the tank is.

You cant glue mushrooms. When you apply the glue they secrete mucus and detach from the glue. They are not like an sps or lps, nothing for the glue to grab ahold to

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with having porous rock it could have went into a hole and probably wont be able to get out. However there is always that chance that he will roll around with the current and secure itself to a piece in the front where he is happy

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. In the past I have had minimal success with gluing. In the moment, I didn't know how else to get him to stay so I glued him. My tank is a Red Sea 34 gallon. I do have lots of nooks he could be in so I will keep an eye out.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lose mushrooms like that all the time.... Sometimes they float around the tank and randomly pop up somewhere or they disappear and never show up again. I used to have a big colony of birdsnest that ended up bleaching out, leaving me only the white skeleton (which looked awesome haha). I threw it in my sump, and now I use it for situations like this. It looks like a white little cage, so when I see a free floating mushroom, I grab it, and set it somewhere in the tank (in rubble or in an area I want him to stay in, and I put that birdsnest skeleton over it to cage it in, and it'll usually attach where ever it is and I just simply remove the skeleton. If it attaches to the skeleton, I will break that tiny piece off and leave him attached to it and position him somewhere in the display... You get the idea...

reef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a few this way also. I usually see them in a few months randomly attached to a rock though.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip for the future.

Using bridal veil material get a rock and wrap the material and leave it for several days and it will attach to the rock.

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found him! Under full blues, my wife spotted a small sliver of orange glowing from under a rock on the sand bed about 3 inches from where he originally was. I tried looking for him for a few days and my wife found him first thing tonight.

I took @tupes advice and used some nylon lace material to hold him to a piece of dry rubble!

Lucked out!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found him! Under full blues, my wife spotted a small sliver of orange glowing from under a rock on the sand bed about 3 inches from where he originally was. I tried looking for him for a few days and my wife found him first thing tonight.

I took @tupes advice and used some nylon lace material to hold him to a piece of dry rubble!

Lucked out!
That is good news!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw my loose shrooms in a cut down water bottle with some rock rubble and they will typically attach quickly and then I can position them where I want.. good idea to make some holes in bottle for extra flow.

63B19389-0B91-45A5-9A43-53857AF37695.png

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_20190224_103902237.jpg
Horrible pic, but you get the idea. He's about a year old now.

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, another little update: When I removed the netting, he lasted all of 30 minutes then bailed. Fortunately, he fell into a little nook right by where I had him on a piece of rubble. I am just going to watch him and make sure he attaches. I am sure he will. He is in a decent place. Stubborn little fella.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back