Lots of algae on the floor of my tank

custard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently had a huge problem with green-grey algae growing over the sand in my tank. I have a 10 gallon tank with a cuban basslet, a small snail and a tuxedo urchin. I was wondering if a diamond goby would be sufficient to clear this up? If not, do you have any recommendations for help with persistent algae? Thanks!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gonna need to know your parameters as well as tank age. If the algae is a result of a nutrient issue then adding a fish is likely not the solution. If it is just a result of "the uglies" time is probably the best cure. Also, there are a number of other sand sifting critters that may add less to your bioload, namely nassarius snails. Also, flow may be a factor. . .

Need more info.

That said, without more info I would say: add fine mechanical filtration, gently disturb the top of the sand bed to loosen the algae/suspend it in the water column, then take out or wash the fine filter media after the algae gets caught in it, and add some nassarius snails.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently had a huge problem with green-grey algae growing over the sand in my tank. I have a 10 gallon tank with a cuban basslet, a small snail and a tuxedo urchin. I was wondering if a diamond goby would be sufficient to clear this up? If not, do you have any recommendations for help with persistent algae? Thanks!
Can you post photos of the tank and algae taken under white lighting only?

Also how old is the tank and how often are you doing water changes?

OP
OP
C

custard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post photos of the tank and algae taken under white lighting only?

Also how old is the tank and how often are you doing water changes?
The tank is only ~5-6 months old, and I do water changes once or twice a month depending on my nitrite levels
PXL_20240418_015746915.jpg
PXL_20240418_015735157.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna need to know your parameters as well as tank age. If the algae is a result of a nutrient issue then adding a fish is likely not the solution. If it is just a result of "the uglies" time is probably the best cure. Also, there are a number of other sand sifting critters that may add less to your bioload, namely nassarius snails. Also, flow may be a factor. . .

Need more info.

That said, without more info I would say: add fine mechanical filtration, gently disturb the top of the sand bed to loosen the algae/suspend it in the water column, then take out or wash the fine filter media after the algae gets caught in it, and add some nassarius snails.
Nassarius snails won't even look at algae, they eat meaty foods and will come out when there are fish guts everywhere and stay buried otherwise. They're legit carnivores. They will keep the sandbed below the surface stirred, but will not breach it until they smell meat. Cerith on the other hand will do algae in and on sand well.
The tank is only ~5-6 months old, and I do water changes once or twice a month depending on my nitrite levels
PXL_20240418_015746915.jpg
PXL_20240418_015735157.jpg
that sand actually looks fairly decent compared to mine, and my current tank is 2+ years old, lol. Any sand sifter will be ok for the task, it's the tank size that is concerning though. True sand sifters like the Banded Sleeper are typically too big, and I think a Court Jester might be too small for the sand particle size (Not to mention, while they do sand sift some, they tend to focus on algae on the rocks in my experience.) Which leaves the Buan's Goby and the Link's Goby, they get to about the same size as a YWG (3-4") and sift sand all day every day really... I think something like that is probably your best bet...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back