Low Alk, High Calc....any suggestions to fix??

JP&JL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up my favorite reefing community?! So I currently am having an issue with High Calcium and Low Alkalinity that I am trying to address but am unsure what the best way to go about it is. This is a new problem that I haven't had before. Here is some relevant information on the current setup;
Aquarium is 180 gallon DT, 70 gallon sump and a 55 gallon refugium with chaeto. Refugium lighting runs at night while DT lights are off
Alk - ranges from 7.6-7.9
Calc - 490
Mag - 1340
I'm dosing with B-Ionic 2 part 40mls of each that is dripped in over a 12 hour period at night using Neptune's DOS
Im using Red Sea Reef Pro which has an Alk of 7.5

My initial thoughts were using a very low dose of Kalk since it raises calc 20ppm and all 2.8. My target range for Alk is 8.3-8.6 so I think a small dosage would get the Alk increase I want with negligible changes to Alk. The other options I see currently are using Baking Soda or just increasing 2 part dosing of Alk only.

Am I on the right track with the Kalk or are there better ways to solve this out there? Your guys' advice and input would be much welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up my favorite reefing community?! So I currently am having an issue with High Calcium and Low Alkalinity that I am trying to address but am unsure what the best way to go about it is. This is a new problem that I haven't had before. Here is some relevant information on the current setup;
Aquarium is 180 gallon DT, 70 gallon sump and a 55 gallon refugium with chaeto. Refugium lighting runs at night while DT lights are off
Alk - ranges from 7.6-7.9
Calc - 490
Mag - 1340
I'm dosing with B-Ionic 2 part 40mls of each that is dripped in over a 12 hour period at night using Neptune's DOS
Im using Red Sea Reef Pro which has an Alk of 7.5

My initial thoughts were using a very low dose of Kalk since it raises calc 20ppm and all 2.8. My target range for Alk is 8.3-8.6 so I think a small dosage would get the Alk increase I want with negligible changes to Alk. The other options I see currently are using Baking Soda or just increasing 2 part dosing of Alk only.

Am I on the right track with the Kalk or are there better ways to solve this out there? Your guys' advice and input would be much welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
Josh
Why not use dose something that only raises alk? Like reef builder (make sure it's the correct one because one also does ph and the other doesn't). Or the alk part of a 2part.

OP
OP
JP&JL

JP&JL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use dose something that only raises alk? Like reef builder (make sure it's the correct one because one also does ph and the other doesn't). Or the alk part of a 2part.
yea I'm totally down with that. I really just wanted to see what all sensible options were out there. I have a second dose that I'm only using one pump for Mag so it would be fairly easy to do something like that

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back