low Alk high calcium

Accidentalreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I'm new to the whole dosing thing, I've noticed my alk has been on a constant decline, it went from 8.2-7.5 this happened over the span of about 8 months, after I did a 40% water change my alk still sat at 7.5 so i decided to hand dose Red sea foundation B liquid I run a 75G tank I deducted my displacement and on the calculator it told me to dose 25ML to get back to 8.5dkh i dosed that amount right off the hop I checked my alk a day later and it's at 6.4????? What would be the best thing I do in this case none of my corals are showing signs of stress I'm using Salifert test kit.
Tank isnt to stocked have a mix of sps and lps, that are on the smaller side i do have a large birds nest colony about 7"x 5"

Alkalinity 6.4
calcium 430
magnesium 1250

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test a couple hours (depending on tank turn over) after dosing to see the true effects of the amount you dosed. Waiting a day leaves a big margin of error due to consumption. Test daily for the next 2-3 days to get an idea of consumption. Once you get that figured out you’ll have a better idea of usage. I know you said you’ve been watching for 8 months but as things mature they consume more. Is it possible the test kit or method used could be producing inconsistent results?

OP
OP
Accidentalreefers

Accidentalreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test a couple hours (depending on tank turn over) after dosing to see the true effects of the amount you dosed. Waiting a day leaves a big margin of error due to consumption. Test daily for the next 2-3 days to get an idea of consumption. Once you get that figured out you’ll have a better idea of usage. I know you said you’ve been watching for 8 months but as things mature they consume more. Is it possible the test kit or method used could be producing inconsistent results?
Thanks for the Intel, I'm going to get a hanna tester it feels crazy to me that im having such a big negative alk swing like this...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back