Low alk, low PH, high calcium

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a healthy level of mag and dKh to keep the ph right & steady. That’s what I’ve always done to maintain my tanks.

Magnesium has nothing to do with pH in seawater, and cannot ever explain an imbalance where calcium is high and alk is normal.

What it does do is reduce the rate of precipitation of calcium carbonate. That cannot cause high calcium.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium has nothing to do with pH in seawater, and cannot ever explain an imbalance where calcium is high and alk is normal.

What it does do is reduce the rate of precipitation of calcium carbonate. That cannot cause high calcium.
I see. Thanks. Another reminder why I got a C in chemistry.

OP
OP
SaltySqueeble

SaltySqueeble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 dKH is fine and is higher than the ocean, but if you want to raise it, it is easy to dose a little alk.

Don’t waste money and time on a bogus product like Sealab 28. It cannot possibly too what it claims.

I would not assume there is a calcium issue.

if you get to the end of the first syringe of Salifert calcium titrant and have not reached the endpoint. Start a second syringe, then when you get to the end point, add the two values together.
Thanks for the help. Noted on the sea lab. With the calcium test, I did try to add the values and if I went by the instructions would have about 650. I’ve always been very careful with salinity, I measure out properly and use a probe and compare with a refractometer. But, concerned about all my tests now

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back