Low Ph (7.6)

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what else to do. I have added a co2 scrubber and it has not done any change to the lvl. I tested all my parameters and everything else is find.

Nitrate 2.81
Phosphate .04
Calcium 488
Magnesium 1600

I used B ionic for my salt mixture.

I checked my ro/water and is cone at a 8.00 ph

I check the ph on every steps of a doing the b-ionic and it all good until I add the B solution which it lower it to 7.8.

I don't want to add kalk because I don't want to increase my Alk.

Dont know what else to do. Any advise?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your tank suggest to you that you may have any issues related to low PH? How does everything look?

Have you tried with a different test kit? - Which one are you using now?

What is your alkalinity level?

OP
OP
Naboria79

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your tank suggest to you that you may have any issues related to low PH? How does everything look?

Have you tried with a different test kit? - Which one are you using now?

What is your alkalinity level?
Sorry, forgot to put Alk.

All is 8.9

Tje only issue I see is the corals nor growing and skeleton looking bristle. I have a branch hammer which open really good bur is not growing at all. Also have a candy cane and same issue with the skeleton. I havean acan that opens good.

The only thing getting big is my clam.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what else to do. I have added a co2 scrubber and it has not done any change to the lvl. I tested all my parameters and everything else is find.

Nitrate 2.81
Phosphate .04
Calcium 488
Magnesium 1600

I used B ionic for my salt mixture.

I checked my ro/water and is cone at a 8.00 ph

I check the ph on every steps of a doing the b-ionic and it all good until I add the B solution which it lower it to 7.8.

I don't want to add kalk because I don't want to increase my Alk.

Dont know what else to do. Any advise?

Open your windows in the room a tiny bit and turn on a fan. Watch your pH come up.

How are you testing your pH?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems odd to me that your alk is 8.9 and your PH is that low..

What are you using to test- and how?

Try another test kit to verify!

OP
OP
Naboria79

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open your windows in the room a tiny bit and turn on a fan. Watch your pH come up.

How are you testing your pH?
I did that yesterday. I open my backdoor and front door and left it open for awhile. Ph didn't moved.

OP
OP
Naboria79

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000008708.jpg
1000008709.jpg
1000008710.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You appear to be dodging the question as to which pH test kit you're using and whether you have verified with a different one! :)

Anyway, that's your next step! Verify your test kit and make sure you're using it the right way.

Nice clam btw!

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ph which has a daily rhythm I think you really just need a probe monitoring all day, otherwise there is really no actionable information to be gained. Mine swings up to .5 per day. If coral is happy I don’t worry about ph

IMG_3221.jpeg

IMG_7654.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tested ph. Bought a Hanna ph tester and lost it in my house somewhere. No idea where before I could even try it.

OP
OP
Naboria79

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You appear to be dodging the question as to which pH test kit you're using and whether you have verified with a different one! :)

Anyway, that's your next step! Verify your test kit and make sure you're using it the right way.

Nice clam btw!
Sorry, did not see the question for it. I used the Hanna Pen. I calibrated it recently too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m concerned it is a measurement error, especially since open windows did not help.

Try this aeration test:

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.

OP
OP
Naboria79

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so little update. I recalibrated my ph pen and keep using the co2 scrubber. My ph has gone up to between 7.9 and 8.0. I think it was the pen given wrong reading. Still wil like to get it a little higher but I am happy the way it is at the moment. Let see if I see any difference in the corals growth.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a box fan in a window blowing either way - power. Open a window on the other side of the home. You have to do this a lot at first since the air in the home will mix and it takes a while to get all of the old air out. Windy day can work too and you can open lots of windows.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back