Low Calcium HELP

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relatively new tank ~2 months, seeded with liverock and gsp colonies. Since added a variety of LPS, softies, and SPS. I just got All For Reef, but am cautious to dose as my Alk is measuring at 8.9, but calcium is all the way down at 340. Should I get another product specifically to raise the calcium before dosing AFR? If AFR is adequate what dose should I start at?

Also currently battling an algae bloom, and for some reason some of my GSP has started melting off the rock... Dont know if that is related. Zoas, trumpets, and monti look great. Phosphates are 0-.03 and nitrates around ~20 ppm.

Cheers all

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspicious of that result. If you have not added alkalinity, calcium will reflect the values in the salt mix. It cannot decline without taking out 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm of calcium lost.

Try the kit on some new salt water

OP
OP
BensReef22

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspicious of that result. If you have not added alkalinity, calcium will reflect the values in the salt mix. It cannot decline without taking out 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm of calcium lost.

Try the kit on some new salt water
Understood, I will retest and test fresh salt mix and report back with the results tonight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back