Low dose erythromycin to get out of ULNS funk?

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a crazy idea when it comes to ulns systems.

I have been struggling with dinoflaagelites.

My personal feeling is that the bio filter which we all covet has become more of a detriment than a benefit.

My logic tells me it would seem beneficial to eliminate some of the biofilter to enhance the level of nutrients within the system.

I'm thinking a low dose of em erythromycin is the best means of achieving this

Thoughts?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a crazy idea when it comes to ulns systems.

I have been struggling with dinoflaagelites.

My personal feeling is that the bio filter which we all covet has become more of a detriment than a benefit.

My logic tells me it would seem beneficial to eliminate some of the biofilter to enhance the level of nutrients within the system.

I'm thinking a low dose of em erythromycin is the best means of achieving this

Thoughts?
No. You'll likely crash your system. Just dose nutrients.

OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you... Just add nutrients. It'll be fine. The issue has nothing to do with the uptake of nutrients by bacteria or protozoans. We should ignore that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, if we can't see it it's not a problem. And if we can see it we fight it with chicken bones and gypsy curses.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got you... Just add nutrients. It'll be fine. The issue has nothing to do with the uptake of nutrients by bacteria or protozoans. We should ignore that.
It is sometimes difficult to gauge tone from text, but that sounds an awful lot like a smug response...

Yes. If your nutrients are bottomed out, you dose. Adding antibiotics to your system is not the solution here. Further more, antibiotics have exactly zero effect on protozoa.

You asked a question and got a response. Cleary though, you were looking for validation and not advice.

Good luck to you, sir. I wish you well.

OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sometimes difficult to gauge tone from text, but that sounds an awful lot like a smug response...

Yes. If your nutrients are bottomed out, you dose. Adding antibiotics to your system is not the solution here. Further more, antibiotics have exactly zero effect on protozoa.

You asked a question and got a response. Cleary though, you were looking for validation and not advice.

Good luck to you, sir. I wish you well
**** yeah I'm looking for validation...

Is dosing em erythromycin a viable means from getting out of the funk of a ulns?

Someone validate this please

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
**** yeah I'm looking for validation...

Is dosing em erythromycin a viable means from getting out of the funk of a ulns?

Someone validate this please
Over It Goodbye GIF by Kathryn Dean

OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that dosing antibiotics doesn't have direct effect on protozoans, it does have effect within a closed environment...

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You do realize that dosing antibiotics doesn't have direct effect on protozoans, it does have effect within a closed environment...
If you go back, you'll see that that is exactly what I said. Zero effect on protoza. The effect on said "closed environment" will be crashing your biofilter and, subsequently, your system.

You do you, bub. Best of luck.

OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me explain... Dinos don't have much competition when phos and nitrates hit 0. The biggest consumption of nitrogen and phosphates is the biofilter. That and the dinos themselves. Using a low dose antibiotic, like em erythromycin to compromise the biofilter may help lessen that uptake. The problem is the dinos, when they die, are a huge bank of nutrients.

OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos thrive in low nutrient systems. Killing off some of the bio filter might be more helpful than feeding the bio filter phos and nitrates

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dinos thrive in low nutrient systems. Killing off some of the bio filter might be more helpful than feeding the bio filter phos and nitrates
I follow your logic, but there are too many variables to account for when it comes to dosing antibiotics to your DT. Erythromycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that works primarily against gram positive bacteria, but has some, though limited, effect against gram negative bacteria. The issue here is that you don't know what parts of your filter it will affect, and to what degree. Will it kill the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite? Nitrite to nitrate? Just nitrate or just phosphate? All of the above?

Best case scenario, it has little to no effect. Worst case, it devastates your system.

Dinos are a royal PITA. I get it. There is no quick fix here. Just persistence and good husbandy. Your thought process with regard to raising nutrient levels is correct. Your methodology is not.

Dose nutrients as the first step to tackling the Dino outbreak. This could be with a ready made product, or simply overfeeding. Manually remove / siphon as much as possible, and then do a 72 hour black out. After that, run only blues for a while. Lather, rinse, repeat, and consider adding a UV sterilizer to your system.

OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly tackling dinos would be nice. But I honestly I feel like having a ulns where the dinos have the opportunity to thrive is the issue.

OP
OP
jbaur

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything more suitable for attacking the biofilter?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there anything more suitable for attacking the biofilter?
Without any more information to go on, this is hard to answer. Shut off biopellet or sulfur reactors, remove rock, cut back macro algae in refugium, cut back on water changes...

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Fish. Sorry, just trying to brainstorm this.
You're good. This hobby can be frustrating and down right infuriating at times. I get it.

Namaste.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back