Low Frequency vibration MP60

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I am curious if anyone else has run into this issue - my MP60 is producing a low frequency vibration that is barely perceptible, but when its quiet, it can be heard and felt on the second floor of the house. It's not the typical rattling that you get with an improperly aligned wet/dry side, its a low frequency hum almost. When we are trying to go to sleep (again, the floor above and other side of the house) you can hear the pump powering up and down as it goes through its program. It's driving me crazy. The MP40s are dead silent.

Is there an issue with this pump? Is this expected? Yes, the correct size spacer is installed. Yes I have tried realigning the pump. And yes I have cleaned the pump

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I am curious if anyone else has run into this issue - my MP60 is producing a low frequency vibration that is barely perceptible, but when its quiet, it can be heard and felt on the second floor of the house. It's not the typical rattling that you get with an improperly aligned wet/dry side, its a low frequency hum almost. When we are trying to go to sleep (again, the floor above and other side of the house) you can hear the pump powering up and down as it goes through its program. It's driving me crazy. The MP40s are dead silent.

Is there an issue with this pump? Is this expected? Yes, the correct size spacer is installed. Yes I have tried realigning the pump. And yes I have cleaned the pump
Im sure you tried taking the spacer out?
I think it is the nature of the beast when operating above 50%, some noise.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure you tried taking the spacer out?
I think it is the nature of the beast when operating above 50%, some noise.
Haven't tried it without the spacer. Doesn't it say that without the correct spacer you could damage the pump ?

When I touch the dry side, it is definitely vibrating. Its crazy that I can feel/hear this 20 feet away on a second story of the house. Probably the vibrations are getting transmitted.

So this is expected behavior at 75% power?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mine are practically silent. I have to be within a foot if it to hear it running

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the MP60? When was the last time it was cleaned? An imbalance of the wet side by a snail or dirty propeller can transfer a vibration to the dry side making it seem the dry side is the issue when actually it is the wet side causing the issue.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the MP60? When was the last time it was cleaned? An imbalance of the wet side by a snail or dirty propeller can transfer a vibration to the dry side making it seem the dry side is the issue when actually it is the wet side causing the issue.
Good advice

~4-5 months old

Cleaned 2 days ago. Its clean yet still when you put your hand on the dry side there is mild vibration which I assume is what is transmitting

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice

~4-5 months old

Cleaned 2 days ago. Its clean yet still when you put your hand on the dry side there is mild vibration which I assume is what is transmitting
Remove the wet side and see if you still have the vibration. Good troubleshooting technique.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the wet side and see if you still have the vibration. Good troubleshooting technique.
Great idea !
? so just hold the dry side in my hand and power it up to see if there is vibration I assume?

If there is, does that mean I need to contact Ecotech as there is nothing more that I would do ?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea !
? so just hold the dry side in my hand and power it up to see if there is vibration I assume?

If there is, does that mean I need to contact Ecotech as there is nothing more that I would do ?
Yes and Yes!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back