Low-iron vs Regular Glass

gotwins86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better clarity. Also more $$$. After having a tank with low iron, not sure I'd go back. I think it is way better.

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low iron and clearer is best when the tank gets larger and has thicker glass walls. I just setup a 20g tank, glass is very thin and normal(not low iron) I honestly doubt I would be able to tell a difference, it appears crystal clear.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon starfire (low iron brand name) right next to a standard 55 gallon display refugium. Even with the 1/2" glass on my 150 gallon, it is visibly more clear than the 55 gallon and its thin glass. However, I agree with Greaps- if it is a smaller tank, I'm not so sure you could tell the difference unless it was next to a low iron glass tank (and even then it could be tough).

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low iron glass does scratch much easier.
Before I had my 60 cube with 3 panels of starphire glass, I read that too. However, I can say that I didn't scratch my tank at all and I cleaned it with a metal scraper blade, I'm sure I hit it with rocks, normal tank wear and tear. I didn't experience easy scratching

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220g tank did not have low iron glass. I can't tell you how many people commented that they loved how clear my Starfire tank was. Many of those people had Starfire tanks themselves. Do you think I told them it wasn't? Nope. I feel if the glass is 5/8" or over you should definitely consider Starfire but if 1/2" you can get away with it if you use black silicone in the seams.

Keep in mind that if the livestock in the tank is captivating, no one ever notices the glass, powerheads, cords or any other imperfections going on outside that glass box. And that's a FACT!

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220g tank did not have low iron glass. I can't tell you how many people commented that they loved how clear my Starfire tank was. Many of those people had Starfire tanks themselves. Do you think I told them it wasn't? Nope. I feel if the glass is 5/8" or over you should definitely consider Starfire but if 1/2" you can get away with it if you use black silicone in the seams.

Keep in mind that if the livestock in the tank is captivating, no one ever notices the glass, powerheads, cords or any other imperfections going on outside that glass box. And that's a FACT!

True. My tanks are basically empty now, so the glass is about the only thing worth noticing! :D

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you purchase PPG Starphire Low iron glass, scratching is not a worry. I have seen other brands of Low Iron scratch very easily. Where I noticed a big difference was when looking at/taking pictures. Plus there is one other factor, some aquarium companies use a cheaper glass than others which is more green/iron than others.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I completely agree, what's inside the tank is the most important part of it all. Making sure it all stays inside is kind of important as well and that was really my main concern... What glass is the sturdiest, less prone to leakage, lasts longer, etc. I'm not at all concerned about which glass is the clearest. Standard is plenty clear enough for me.

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does the black silicone have to do with it? Do you feel that it's because people can't see the green in the cut ends of the glass? I'm interested in this only because I'm going to do an upgrade to a 120 gal in the near future.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think so many people lose sight of this while chasing "perfection". I have had my tank look bad in my eyes but a friend or neighbor will come over and rave about how great it looks never mind the film on the glass that I haven't cleaned in a couple of weeks lol! People have got to keep things in perspective.

That being said, supposedly my new to me tank has starfire glass on it lol! Maybe I'll be able to tell a difference.

Jenna Bearden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, it's so much better with low iron glass for a show tank. You get to see colors that you really can see with regular blue/green tinted glass. I had a regular glass and a starphire glass aquarium in same room. Needless to say the details you can see in the starphire is truly amazing! I got rid of my regular glass and got another starphire tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back