Low light coral

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 foot reef is coming along very nicely but I have had disaster after disaster with the lighting! After spending over £700 on some lighting (I won’t call the company out) It broke repeatedly - to the point where it is now useless. I have some really good led lights but I am aware they won’t be good enough for any sps coral.

In your experiences what corals are the least demanding of light? I’m assuming different Softies & LPS corals.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Unfortunately at this time I just cannot afford to replace the lighting I had :(

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many stony corals, including 'SPS' (non Acropora), that can do well in lower-medium to medium light. Off the top of my head:

Leptoseris, certain Birdsnests ('Ponape', for example), Pavonas (lower-medium up to higher light), Stylocoeniella, Psammacora, Anacropora, quite a few Montipora (however, many will not have as bright a coloration as they would under stronger lighting), Merulina, Pectinia.

Smaller polyped LPS like Leptastrea, Favia, Favities, Cyphastrea.

Certain 'Deepwater acropora' that can actually be found in deeper water such as A. carduus ('Red Dragon') and A. echinata for example (found down to 25 m) can do well under 'medium' lighting (especially those that have been raised in captivity).

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 foot reef is coming along very nicely but I have had disaster after disaster with the lighting! After spending over £700 on some lighting (I won’t call the company out) It broke repeatedly - to the point where it is now useless. I have some really good led lights but I am aware they won’t be good enough for any sps coral.

In your experiences what corals are the least demanding of light? I’m assuming different Softies & LPS corals.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Unfortunately at this time I just cannot afford to replace the lighting I had :(
Why won't your LED lights be sufficient for sps? Make and model?

I've get two cheapish zetlight ufos over my 75 gal and grow a range of sps.

Otherwise leptoseris is a sps that will grow well in lower light situations. Also Euphyllia, some zoas, Rhodactus, Mushrooms do ok in low light.

Best to try get an idea of what PAR you have at different depths.

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the PAR? There may be a “hot spot” from the light that would be strong enough for some higher light corals, depending on how your aquascape and light are set up.
Yes there are a few spots! But the lower areas of the tank and the ground level will need low light corals

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back