Low Mg

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test kit doesn't expire until 10/19. I suppose it could be operator error but it's a pretty simple test. I can't imagine I could screw it up that much. It has never measured in a normal range so it very well could be a bad test kit. I recently moved my sump and added 60 gallons of new water so it's not like I haven't done a water change recently.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you are not reading the syringe backwards?

Positive! Even if I read it backwards, at that level it would be very close to the same thing. It read 52 which puts it at 720, if it was read at 48 that makes it 780. My kit doesn't expire until 10/19 so that's not the problem. It could be operator error but it's a pretty simple test. It never has read in a normal range, I believe the most I've ever measures was 1140 ppm. I also recently moved my sump and added 60 gallons of new/additional water so it's not like I haven't made any recent water changes.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
listen to others here. LOL

that said my old 55g had magnesium of 800ppm when I started the diy two part system. It took literally pounds of Epsom salts to get it up to 1350. this also was experienced by another local with his tank.

After that first correction the diy two part worked as advertised.

my .02

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm due to mix up a brand new 90 gallon batch, so I'll test that when it thoroughly mixed.

What is everyone's opinion about the most accurate test out there?

Most people seem happy with the Salifert magnesium kit. :)

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mixing water today. It should be 1340 according to the Red Sea Coral Pro container, so we'll see.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium drops 0-2 ppm per day when dosing calcium and alk with no magnesium and no water changes, and will drop less as the magnesium drops. I don't recall ever seeing magnesium below 1000 ppm without it being error.
I've had Mg in 800 ppm range while dosing too much Alk and too little Ca and doing only a few water changes in over 6 months. My Alk was over 15, Ca was around 280. All Salifert and RedSea tests. Slowly raised Mg, slowly reduced Alk dosing, letting it drift down naturally over few months and raised Ca to ~400 level. Everything was okay including Acros, although that is all in a well-established system.

OP
OP
T

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Mg up to 1320 and my Garf Bonsai looked much happier with the polyps having better extension.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, the results are in. I mixed new water, came up with a 32 ppt salinity on the initial guess on the salt and tested. It should have given me a mg level of approximately 1240 ppm and my test came up at 675. I'm assuming I have a bad Salifert test kit. Time to order another, maybe I'll try Red Sea this time. I'm glad to see it's not my actual levels in the display tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, the results are in. I mixed new water, came up with a 32 ppt salinity on the initial guess on the salt and tested. It should have given me a mg level of approximately 1240 ppm and my test came up at 675. I'm assuming I have a bad Salifert test kit. Time to order another, maybe I'll try Red Sea this time. I'm glad to see it's not my actual levels in the display tank.

Well, something is seriously off. :D

OP
OP
T

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Last night I checked my levels after not dosing anything anything over the weekend. My Garf Bonsai looks great again with full poylp extension. Dendro's look great with full extension although haven't been as hungry when I feed pellets the last 2 feedings. Alk was a little low so I dosed after the test results.
Mg: 1360
Ca: 460
Alk: 6.3

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back