Low Nitrate good/bad?

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I shouldn't necessarily chase numbers, and look more for consistency and stability in the tank. However, I also think there's value in striving for ballpark numbers. Over the last half year, my Nitrates have been declining. My understanding is that to have a healthy tank with SPS coral, you should aim for nitrates to be around 10-20. My nitrates are now currently measuring between 2-4 consistently. My phosphates have remained at around .05-.06. I'm feeding about 3 times a day with flakes, pellet and frozen foods. Is this something I should "fix"? I always feel like my coral can grow more, color up more - not sure if it's the nutrients are "holding back" the tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I shouldn't necessarily chase numbers, and look more for consistency and stability in the tank. However, I also think there's value in striving for ballpark numbers. Over the last half year, my Nitrates have been declining. My understanding is that to have a healthy tank with SPS coral, you should aim for nitrates to be around 10-20. My nitrates are now currently measuring between 2-4 consistently. My phosphates have remained at around .05-.06. I'm feeding about 3 times a day with flakes, pellet and frozen foods. Is this something I should "fix"? I always feel like my coral can grow more, color up more - not sure if it's the nutrients are "holding back" the tank.
The fact that you have nitrates at all is a good thing. You just want to make sure 'N' does not get zero, having the final product of nitrate is fine. I wouldn't chase the number.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The 10-20 ppm is not generally true. Many folks have well below 3 ppm nitrate and have good SPS growth.

What levels are best likely depends on the available of other sources of N, such as ammonia and organics.

It is easy to dose N if you want it higher.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back