Low Nitrate

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, recently i have been struggling with high phosphates and undetectable levels of nitrate. I have gone as far as dosing nitrates which show up like an hour after dosing but are gone by the next day. My current phosphates are 0.12, and nitrate 0 both tested by Hannah checkers. How can i raise the Nitrates while keeping phosphates low? BTW i have tons and tons of bio blocks in my sump not sure if that's the issue(probably 20 pounds lol. I have and auto feeder that feeds just enough for my 7 small fish in 112 gallon tank and feed frozen shrimp 1 to 2 times a week and algae sheets a few times a week. weekly 15% water changes with tropic marin pro reef salt and siphon the sand bed. Running a skimmer properly size, filter roller, and just started a reactor with a small amount of gfo made by nyos in a nyos reactor. Im struggling with algae bad due to the phosphates and silicates in water (silicates tested by icp test) any recommendations on the media i should use to remove and what the cause could be. The tanks 2 years old, rocks about 1.5 years old.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short term solution could bro neonitro imo. Also how long are you running your lights? I used to have crazy Dino’s+cyano+GHA when I was running my lights for about 11 hours. (Yikes I know,)
Anyway since then I’ve added a small cuc (mainly turbo snails) and cut my light schedule down to 8 hours. Just a thought, hope this helped a bit :)

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably around 60-70 the dt with no sump is 88 gallons
I would do some research on the bio blocks. Whether they can be the source of the problem over time. I can remember seeing here sometime ago that was the case in a reefers system.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi, recently i have been struggling with high phosphates and undetectable levels of nitrate. I have gone as far as dosing nitrates which show up like an hour after dosing but are gone by the next day. My current phosphates are 0.12, and nitrate 0 both tested by Hannah checkers. How can i raise the Nitrates while keeping phosphates low? BTW i have tons and tons of bio blocks in my sump not sure if that's the issue(probably 20 pounds lol. I have and auto feeder that feeds just enough for my 7 small fish in 112 gallon tank and feed frozen shrimp 1 to 2 times a week and algae sheets a few times a week. weekly 15% water changes with tropic marin pro reef salt and siphon the sand bed. Running a skimmer properly size, filter roller, and just started a reactor with a small amount of gfo made by nyos in a nyos reactor. Im struggling with algae bad due to the phosphates and silicates in water (silicates tested by icp test) any recommendations on the media i should use to remove and what the cause could be. The tanks 2 years old, rocks about 1.5 years old.
Up the gfo, increase feedings/neonitro dosing, shut off skimmer and filter rollers. Stop water changes and siphoning sand band. These things should raise nitrates and Gfo should control phosphates and silicates, but monitor to not bottom out phosphates. Your phosphates aren’t really that high. Most reefers keep their phosphates at 0.03-0.10, so you’re right above that range.

Are you using RODI?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the issue too much algae growth in a 2 year old aquarium?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 144 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back