Very low parameters in Nano tank - Please advise

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like vitalise Marine flakes? Would it be worth feeding both flakes and shrimps but for example morning flakes and afternoon shrimps?
Honestly that sounds pretty good. That way you diversify your food a little and you will be feeding a bit more. The flakes would be a lighter option.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that sounds pretty good. That way you diversify your food a little and you will be feeding a bit more. The flakes would be a lighter option.
I do have flakes, but usually have them in my automatic feeder when I'm on holiday or travel for work. On the daily basis I'm giving them mysis shrimps only and barely feed them with flakes. I may include the flakes now in the menu. Same as you I feed twice a day. Always at 10am and around 5pm. I could try flakes and mysis in the afternoon so it's different and see if any changes. Additionally I will reduce WC to once a month now around 10%.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a lot of algae, some algae, or no algae growing?

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a lot of algae, some algae, or no algae growing?
Barely detectable. I have a brown dust on a glass that I have to clean every 2-3 days. Apart from it the tank looks clean. I have tons of amphipods that are super active at night so they might be helping with scavenging and cleaning the tank. I think the amount of them is insane as there's no predator to eat them.

reefsUP2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Sea Evo 13.5g that is 6 months old. I have 9 lbs of sand and around 9 lb of live rock. I'm only running Rowa Carbon in my second chamber. For livestock, I have a pair of clownfish, a tailspot blenny, and a cleanup crew (astraea snails, crabs, nasaarius snails). I've noticed at night that I have an insane amount of amphipods scavenging. For the stock, I have a mix of soft and LPS corals. Every day, I dose Red Sea AB+ food. For maintenance, I change 10% of the water volume every two weeks. I've been testing the tank twice a week, and my nitrates are almost 0, the same as phosphate. Should I stop changing the water since my parameters are almost undetectable? Should I get one more fish for waste? What would be the best option for slowly but stably increasing nitrates/phosphates in such a small tank? Thanks in advance!
Always keep in mind a small tank rapid changes can happen for the good & bad.
I personally add low dosages every day vs weekly allowing me to hopefully catch anything that needs to be adjusted.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always keep in mind a small tank rapid changes can happen for the good & bad.
I personally add low dosages every day vs weekly allowing me to hopefully catch anything that needs to be adjusted.
Aye, I really enjoyed having a big tank. However, doesn't have much space now and managed to convince my wife for a wee one to be in my office. It is more challenging but still happy to be part of this hobby!

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no skimmer, then in my second chamber there's a sponge with Rowa Carbon on top and Biomax media for filtration. I believe all the rocks will contribute to the filtration too. I am feeding 1/4 cube of mysis a day or maybe even less. I believe I may have feed too little and I will have to increase the amount of the food and reduce WC. My all parameters are close to 0 most of the time. Got some mushrooms, GSP, papaya polyps, candy cane, hammer, chalice. My LPS are definitely more happy than softies. AB+ dosed every day. Additionally I am thinking about doing WC once a month. How much of water are you changing for your 15G?
Skimmer not needed. But it's so much easier to manage once you dial it in.

WC are not as necessary as I thought they were in the past. Really its about filtration and an ecosystem balance. Replacing water as I see it is adding in some additional nutrients and cleaning the water up a bit. But if you have good tests and everything is stable. I don't see the need to disturb it.

My tank is strictly LPS/softies right now. GSP, cloves, chalice, zoanthids, leptoseris etc.

I just did my 20% or around 3 gallons this morning.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer not needed. But it's so much easier to manage once you dial it in.

WC are not as necessary as I thought they were in the past. Really its about filtration and an ecosystem balance. Replacing water as I see it is adding in some additional nutrients and cleaning the water up a bit. But if you have good tests and everything is stable. I don't see the need to disturb it.

My tank is strictly LPS/softies right now. GSP, cloves, chalice, zoanthids, leptoseris etc.

I just did my 20% or around 3 gallons this morning.
Make sense! In terms of corals I think we have quite similar livestock as I have LPS and softies too. Regarding WC I am planning to do 10% once a month for now and see how things are going. If it is better I can stay with that schedule with more food provided for the animals.

reeefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think every two weeks for me it was too often. I will change my schedule to once a month. Could I ask you what are you using to dose N and P?
I decided to make my own based on what I have read on these forums. I mix RODI water with sodium nitrate to make one solution and I mix trisodium phosphate with RODI water to make the other. It’s cheaper than off the shelf products and you are able to make it whatever strength suits yours needs. I also use the attached calculator for how much to mix.

reeefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to make my own based on what I have read on these forums. I mix RODI water with sodium nitrate to make one solution and I mix trisodium phosphate with RODI water to make the other. It’s cheaper than off the shelf products and you are able to make it whatever strength suits yours needs. I also use the attached calculator for how much to mix.

Thanks for that! I will definitely look at it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think every two weeks for me it was too often. I will change my schedule to once a month. Could I ask you what are you using to dose N and P?
Start with every 3 weeks but to determine your needs, let a water test determine if a water change is needed,

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back