Low phosphate DIY frozen food

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I wasn't sure where else to post this.

I am going to whip up some DIY frozen food. After watching a BRS video about nutrients and food I started googling the nutrition labels. I'm looking for ingredients that are lower in phosphates and higher in nitrates.

The problem is that fish and shrimp from the supermarket is treated with phosphates. I read that the phosphate salts are easily dissolved in water. That water I assume would not only thaw the ingredients but the juices would also come out, potentially cutting out the good nutrients that fish and coral need.

If it's safe to rinse, thaw, and refreeze; and if the process of dissolving the phosphate salt that the ingredients were treated with won't also leach the vitamins and minerals the critters all need then I'm all about it.

Almost every fish I've looked at in the store (the closest fishmonger is about 70 miles from here and our minivan isn't the most efficient exactly when it comes to gas) is high in phosphates. Does anyone know of food that's low in phosphates?

Now I know many don't feed freshwater fish in their saltwater because their nutritional profile is different from that of saltwater fish. Would it be bad to include freshwater fish and/or scuds and pods? I'm not talking about a huge percentage. I would catch any freshwater fish I put in the DIY frozen food. Same for pods, 'cods, and scuds. I am also going to add vegetable matter but I haven't really researched how much phosphate there is in the most nutritious vegetables yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cannot readily have a complete nutrition natural food and have it be truly low phosphate. This has been tried extensively by scientists trying to feed people with hyperphosphatemia, and it generally fails.

Yes, there are foods (fish foods and human seafoods) higher and lower in phosphate, and I list them in some of my articles, W’but whether they comprise a useful approach, I do not know.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cannot readily have a complete nutrition natural food and have it be truly low phosphate. This has been tried extensively by scientists trying to feed people with hyperphosphatemia, and it generally fails.

Yes, there are foods (fish foods and human seafoods) higher and lower in phosphate, and I list them in some of my articles, W’but whether they comprise a useful approach, I do not know.

I was afraid of that. I will definitely read this. Thank you for the link.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back