Low Profile/Compact Powerheads?

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. The intended spot (the only spot) for my main display tank in the living room is in an alcove. The intention is to use all of the space. Currently looking at a RS Reefer 350 which would fit perfectly leaving 20mm/0.75" clearance at the sides and the back.

It had just dawned on me that the powerheads are powered from the outside and attach magnetically... This could be a problem considering it's all going to be so snuggly placed into the alcove.

I've not yet looked at any powerheads at all. Is the motor housing that sits outside the tank generally the same size for all products out there? Or do they vary a lot? I could really do with some slim power heads.

thanks

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the powerheds motors are housed inside the unit in the tank except that i know of ecotechs MPs series

OP
OP
Salty John

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the powerheds motors are housed inside the unit in the tank except that i know of ecotechs MPs series

Thanks. I assumed that they work with the motor on the outside (staying nice and dry) then the prop is span via a magnet or something? Being a newb I don't actually know anything!

Either way, from what I've seen powerheads seem to be pretty bulky on the outside of the tank, and I need something slimmer.

Last edited:

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to want ones that have a suction cup mount due to you needing to be able to pull them out every few months for cleaning. If you had ones that mount with magnets it’s going to be a hassle and you will hate doing it and skip it.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Neptune WAV although their footprint inside of the tank , is a bit much. The magnet on the outside is quite thin. Maybe 1/2" thick at most.

There are many others that have small external magnets as well.

Ecotech is the only 1 I know of that has an external motor.

OP
OP
Salty John

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Neptune WAV although their footprint inside of the tank , is a bit much. The magnet on the outside is quite thin. Maybe 1/2" thick at most.

There are many others that have small external magnets as well.

Ecotech is the only 1 I know of that has an external motor.

Thanks. As I said, the powerheads that I've seen so far have been bulky on the outside, so I assumed the motor was on the outside.

Thanks for the tips on the slimmer heads!

Hitmans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the maxspect gyres they have long slender motor heads with magnets that are bout 1/2” thick on the outside of the glass. Nowhere close to the same footprint of most. They have an awesome amount of flow and can be configured in several different ways. Horizontally, vertically. On the sides or on the back. Absolutely love the 2-250s I run in my 220
3305182D-7312-48B7-A26D-D79E9E8D7CD1.jpeg
you can see the tremendous amount of flow I’m generating from end to end. If u look at the top right u can see the one

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back