Low salinity

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
biocube 32
Mixed coral Usually keep my salinity 1.025
Did a 4 gallon water change last night woke up to my rarely seen yellow watchman out from his hiding and darting around the tank all over the place and a few of my corals closed up re tested everything and salinity is below 1.020 using refractometer I buy my saltwater from LFS tested his water at 1.020 today claims is water is never higher then that so I bought salt and currently mixing 5 gallons at 1.025 can I do a normal 4 gallon water change or should I do a small amount every day until it rises back to normal

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, in my opinion, the livestock is stressed at the current salinity level. Getting it back in line as quickly as it got out of line will do no more harm.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If you normally keep your salinity at 1.025 in a 32 gallon tank, and perform a 4g water change with 1.020 salt water, you should not get 1.020 in your tank. So either your tank is not at 1.025 to begin with, or you performed the change with rodi water, or very low salinity water.

Are you leaking water anywhere and your ATO is dropping your salinity?

2. Now that it is at 1.020, I think going back up slowly is warranted. 1.020 is not a big deal for fish. And it’s more stressfully to livestock when you are increasing as opposed to decreasing salinity (so I’ve read). Go back up slowly would be my advice. Add 1.025 salt water to the tank and just let it replace evaporation until you’re back up to where you want it.

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ATO hooked up yet ,no leaks, test on Thursday claimed my water was at 25 Never even thought of the possibility they filled my bucket with rodi water instead of salt
1. If you normally keep your salinity at 1.025 in a 32 gallon tank, and perform a 4g water change with 1.020 salt water, you should not get 1.020 in your tank. So either your tank is not at 1.025 to begin with, or you performed the change with rodi water, or very low salinity water.

Are you leaking water anywhere and your ATO is dropping your salinity?

2. Now that it is at 1.020, I think going back up slowly is warranted. 1.020 is not a big deal for fish. And it’s more stressfully to livestock when you are increasing as opposed to decreasing salinity (so I’ve read). Go back up slowly would be my advice. Add 1.025 salt water to the tank and just let it replace evaporation until you’re back up to where you want it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back