lower light SPS/sticks

  • Thread starter Thread starter aran
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aran

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2014
Messages
60
Reaction score
21
Location
rochester ny
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i have a 300G mainly sps tank and am looking for suggestions for sticks that will do ok in the lower 3rd of the tank.
I run metal halides ( 3x250) and LEDs .
I have plenty of sps now all doing well but just looking for ideas for the bottom of the tank.
If you guys have pics/thoughts id appreciate it.


cheers.
 
Birdsnests, Stylophoras and Montipora digitata are all good candidates for lower light areas in the tank.
 
IMG_476562947.JPG
Some particular corals I like are the Tyree ponape birdsnest that really shows a well in lower light, and CC Hellboy acropora which is red with a green/red hue to the base and for me does best 200 par or so. THe starburst cap I think is particularly nice and I have both high and low light and for me the colors or more intense in the lower light setting. Of course, cant go wrong with the old school red planet-- some like it high (redder) but I like mine low !(red/green) . Icefire echinata and red dragon also do well both in coloration and growth in lower par in my tank. Attached image is the hellboy...

Mark
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new