Lowering Alk

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my alk is usually stable around 8.9 and when I started a vibrant treatment for algae I didn’t test for a while. One day when I was close to the end of the treatment I Decided to start testing everything again and discovered my alk was up to 14.3 ! I tested a few times and brought some water to my LFS and kept getting the same results. I’ve been trying to lower it with water changes. I’ve been using Red Sea blue bucket and can’t get it lower than 11.7 which is still getting to be acceptable. I’ve done three water changes that were all about 20 gallons in a 75 gallon tank. I would like to get it down to that 8 dkh mark.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your down to 11.7 I would not worry about it any more and just let it come down naturally. Stop dosing any ALK until it gets to where you want it to be.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are dosing nothing and the top off is RO/DI, then the best way would be to lower the alk even more in new salt water (say, 2-4 dKH) either with sodium bisulfate (Amazon or Seachem acid buffer) or muriatic acid.

Aerate it really well after lowering it to bring the pH back to soemthing reasonable (7.5+), and do regular water changes to drop to thank alk.

OP
OP
BuddyVanDoodle

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are dosing nothing and the top off is RO/DI, then the best way would be to lower the alk even more in new salt water (say, 2-4 dKH) either with sodium bisulfate (Amazon or Seachem acid buffer) or muriatic acid.

Aerate it really well after lowering it to bring the pH back to soemthing reasonable (7.5+), and do regular water changes to drop to thank alk.

So make new water to the gravity I usually do then mix in SeaChem Acid buffer and then test alk? Then after I reach 2-4 alk throw an air stone in maybe for a day or so then do water change with it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So make new water to the gravity I usually do then mix in SeaChem Acid buffer and then test alk? Then after I reach 2-4 alk throw an air stone in maybe for a day or so then do water change with it?

Yes, that's a fine plan. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back