View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just setup my Trident and it gives the following initial readings:
Alk 10.95
Cal 500
Mag 1496

How can I safely lower my Alk or are these numbers okay? Tank is a 225 with around 12-14 SPS frags. I use Reef Crystals salt. Thanks

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let the trident break-in. When first set-up they can move a bit. I would also test compare with a test kit to make sure it is close. On one of my tridents it took me forever to get CA to test correctly. It was always about 100ppm higher than actual. Took a couple of calibrations for it to get the proper reading. Also one thing to note on the Trident calibration fluid, it has a 10 hour shelf life after you open it.

If you want to lower your ALK I would let it come down on it's own (slow down or stop dosing, coral uptake) or water changes. I would take it down .5 or less per day until you get it where you want it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk numbers are OK if nutrients are not too low, but if you want alk lower, don't dose any and let it fall, and/or do regular water changes with a lower alk salt mix.

There are ways to lower alk chemically, but it is more trouble than it is worth at that level.

OP
OP
xabo

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the replies......................I usually test with Salifert kits and Alk consistently reads 10.5- 10-9, Cal 500 and Mag 1450-1460. There's no dosing other than a Calcium Reactor controlled by the Apex.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't make sense to use reef crystals and then want to lower alk. Use instant ocean if you want lower alk from mix.

IMO, your alk values are fine anyways.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back