LPS coral not extending

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my LPS corals (frammer, torch, and goniopora) aren't extending properly, but my Acans are opening up just fine. I did upgrade my skimmer, and the nitrates/phosphate lowered, so I was confused if this was the reason or not.

My parameters are :

Phosphate : 0

Nitrate : 0

Calcium : 495

Alkalinity : 8.3

Salinity : 1.026

If it is because of the phosphate/nitrate, how would I increase it? (I tried feeding more, but it just didnt increase), should I dose? If so, what brand would do best? Thanks!

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my LPS corals (hammer, torch, and goniopora) aren't extending properly, but my Acans are opening up just fine. I did upgrade my skimmer, and the nitrates/phosphate lowered, so I was confused if this was the reason or not.

My parameters are :

If it is because of the phosphate/nitrate, how would I increase it? (I tried feeding more, but it just didnt increase), should I dose? If so, what brand would do best? Thanks!
How long was the change made? Have they been closed up/not extending since?

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the skimmer off line and skip a water change or two. Works for me when the tank gets to clean.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was the change made? Have they been closed up/not extending since?
The change was made on Feb 25. I've had troubles with my frammer opening up fully even before that, but my goniopora and torch were opening up just fine. Not long after the new skimmer, it started affecting the corals. goniopora barely opens up, frammer and torch is about 40-50% opening up.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the skimmer off line and skip a water change or two. Works for me when the tank gets to clean.
What about the aeration of the tank though? My powerhead is pointed upwards so it creates surface agitation, would that be ok for 2 weeks of no skimmer/water change?

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the aeration of the tank though? My powerhead is pointed upwards so it creates surface agitation, would that be ok for 2 weeks of no skimmer/water change?
If you have a good amount of livestock and feed regularly you probably wont have to wait two weeks to see your #s increase. But to answer your question no it wont hurt anything in that amount of time. You can run a small air stone next to your return if you're worried about it.

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my LPS corals (frammer, torch, and goniopora) aren't extending properly, but my Acans are opening up just fine. I did upgrade my skimmer, and the nitrates/phosphate lowered, so I was confused if this was the reason or not.

My parameters are :

Your nitrates and phosphates are definitely too low. LPS like slightly dirtier water than SPS. Nitrate around 10 and phosphate 0.1 should be good. What are you using to measure these? Also what's your magnesium at? If your skimmer is tuned to wet skimming (getting lots of clearer simmate) vs. dry skimming (less skimmate and a darker color) you can tune towards dry skimming. Reef Roids is good at bumping phosphate and to a lesser extent nitrate. You could always get some NeoPhos and NeoNitro and dose directly.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a good amount of livestock and feed regularly you probably wont have to wait two weeks to see your #s increase. But to answer your question no it wont hurt anything in that amount of time. You can run a small air stone next to your return if you're worried about it.
I have a 55 gallons with (chalk bass, 2 oceralis clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 cardinal), I feed 2 times per day and feed corals 3 times a week and dose coral AB+ daily.

I don't have a sump (return pump), I'm only running a hob skimmer and a hob filter, It should be fine without an airstone I think as long as my powerhead is doing good surface agitation

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates and phosphates are definitely too low. LPS like slightly dirtier water than SPS. Nitrate around 10 and phosphate 0.1 should be good. What are you using to measure these? Also what's your magnesium at? If your skimmer is tuned to wet skimming (getting lots of clearer simmate) vs. dry skimming (less skimmate and a darker color) you can tune towards dry skimming. Reef Roids is good at bumping phosphate and to a lesser extent nitrate. You could always get some NeoPhos and NeoNitro and dose directly.
I use Hanna to measure and also remeasure with salifert, and got very similar results. (nitrate, phosphate was the same, but got 8.2 alk on salfiert and 485 calcium on salifert). My skimmer is wet skimming right now. How do I change it to dry skimming? My skimmer is a reef octopus 1000 hob filter (I tried changing it by allowing more/less oxygen in, but it didn't really change much, so I'm not sure how to).

From what I've seen, neophos increase phosphate and lower ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, but neonitro increases nitrate right?

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna to measure and also remeasure with salifert, and got very similar results. (nitrate, phosphate was the same, but got 8.2 alk on salfiert and 485 calcium on salifert). My skimmer is wet skimming right now. How do I change it to dry skimming? My skimmer is a reef octopus 1000 hob filter (I tried changing it by allowing more/less oxygen in, but it didn't really change much, so I'm not sure how to).

From what I've seen, neophos increase phosphate and lower ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, but neonitro increases nitrate right?
Those numbers should be fine. I've not used that skimmer but most will just let you adjust air flow. If you reduce air flow, should get less skimmate (dryer skimming). I have started to dose NeoPhos as phosphate bottoming out. Haven't seen that affecting nitrate levels. Have not dosed NeoNitro.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my magnesium using salifert and it's 1750, is that too high?

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the level supposed to be with that salt? I’ve not used salifert. Is it color matching? Do you get the same results if you run 2 tests sequentially?

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the level supposed to be with that salt? I’ve not used salifert. Is it color matching? Do you get the same results if you run 2 tests sequentially?
It says 400 calcium and 1320 magnesium, but mine is way off and I dont dose anything.

For salifert magnesium, you add drops of their solution until the water changes color, I'll try doing it again later tonight

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched this video. Lots of room for errors. Do 3 tests in a row and see how close the results are. Do they have an accuracy range with the product? Us there a calibration solution?

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says 400 calcium and 1320 magnesium, but mine is way off and I dont dose anything.

For salifert magnesium, you add drops of their solution until the water changes color, I'll try doing it again later tonight
Color changes can be hard. I’m colorblind so can’t use them. I use the Neptune systems trident and Hanna checkers. More expensive but my only option. Do you have LFS that could check for you?

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color changes can be hard. I’m colorblind so can’t use them. I use the Neptune systems trident and Hanna checkers. More expensive but my only option. Do you have LFS that could check for you?
My LFS uses some API stuff, so yea, not really reliable.

I'll probably get hanna magnesium, but not until maybe next week or the week after that

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back