LPS Corals all receding: currently battling prorocentrum dinos

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am currently battling prorocentrum dinos and I noticed just recently that all of my LPS corals have been gradually receding, including my micromussa and hammer corals. The hammer started to show its skeleton starting yesterday in the back. I've attached pictures for reference with the light off. Given my water parameters below, could this be due to the LPS all dealing with the dinos and possibly the toxicity that it releases? I put carbon right in front of the return to help limit the toxicity that this type of dino releases.

I also have not changed the water in a few weeks and have been supplementing instead, due to the GHA and dinos.

Water parameters:
Temp: 79
pH: 8
Alk: 7.7
Nitrates: 10
Phosphates: 0.1
Salinity: 1.026
Calcium: 350

I've dosed alk and calcium a bit since, and have it on a regular dosing pattern.

Thoughts? Since it's all LPS, it's gotta be a single common factor, right?

20231117_184300.jpg 20231117_184329.jpg 20231117_184320.jpg 20231117_184350.jpg

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is low also. Raise calcium to 420. Magnesium to 1400. Verify your par for your corals. LPS need low or low moderate flow.
Which do you think is more likely to be the cause? Dino outbreak or those levels being slightly low?

I've dosed to raise those, and I'm unsure how par is relevant with recession (bleaching, if anything). Flow should be fine with the wavemaker, and it is a gentle "breeze" for those corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which do you think is more likely to be the cause? Dino outbreak or those levels being slightly low?

I've dosed to raise those, and I'm unsure how par is relevant with recession (bleaching, if anything). Flow should be fine with the wavemaker, and it is a gentle "breeze" for those corals.
Could be toxins in the water but you said carbon is in place. Some parameters are low but you are correcting them. Par is unverified. So these various things could have stressed your LPS over the past weeks or months and now you see the results. Corals decline from the inside out so it can take weeks or months before they show you the stress they are enduring.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be toxins in the water but you said carbon is in place. Some parameters are low but you are correcting them. Par is unverified. So these various things could have stressed your LPS over the past weeks or months and now you see the results. Corals decline from the inside out so it can take weeks or months before they show you the stress they are enduring.
They have been in the tank for about 3 weeks now for what it's worth. The tank is 8 months old now. As far as par goes, I have never run a par meter, but comparatively in the community with the same light and similar tanks, I've mimicked their specs.

Give that it is only happening to the LPS corals (meanwhile, the softies are either growing/multiplying with new heads such as my zoas), which element strikes you as being the most likely culprit if we assume all softies are doing well?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been in the tank for about 3 weeks now for what it's worth. The tank is 8 months old now. As far as par goes, I have never run a par meter, but comparatively in the community with the same light and similar tanks, I've mimicked their specs.

Give that it is only happening to the LPS corals (meanwhile, the softies are either growing/multiplying with new heads such as my zoas), which element strikes you as being the most likely culprit if we assume all softies are doing well?
Initially probably calcium but you most likely have a combination of things going on making an undesirable environment for your LPS. Dinos most likely developed because your parameters bottomed out although your nitrates and phosphate are decent now. LPS need 125 to 250 par. Your softs can survive on less. Change your carbon and continue weekly water changes as you bring those elements up. For long term rent a par meter so you can map your tank for your corals. Dose PNS probio for your dinos which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose sodium silicate to get rid of prorocentrum. Avoid doing water changes and dosing amino acids while battling them. Depending on how much they have spread, ir can take 4-8 weeks to get rid of them.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially probably calcium but you most likely have a combination of things going on making an undesirable environment for your LPS. Dinos most likely developed because your parameters bottomed out although your nitrates and phosphate are decent now. LPS need 125 to 250 par. Your softs can survive on less. Change your carbon and continue weekly water changes as you bring those elements up. For long term rent a par meter so you can map your tank for your corals. Dose PNS probio for your dinos which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste.
You're right about why the dinos came back. I have stayed away from weekly water changes due to the dinos, though.

Do you disagree? Too much conflicting info out there for me.

As for changing carbon, how frequently would you suggest that?

As far as PNS probio, would Microbacter be the same sort of thing? Would dosing be any different than what the bottle recommends? I wouldn't be cycling, so was curious.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose sodium silicate to get rid of prorocentrum. Avoid doing water changes and dosing amino acids while battling them. Depending on how much they have spread, ir can take 4-8 weeks to get rid of them.
Yeah, I have been for 3 weeks now SpongeExcel and switched to Loud Wolf when that came in per Mack's Facebook group. And right, I have not done any water changes and got my nitrates and phosphates in a nice ratio for now. Still no signs of any diatoms yet though... It's rough out here...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right about why the dinos came back. I have stayed away from weekly water changes due to the dinos, though.

Do you disagree? Too much conflicting info out there for me.

As for changing carbon, how frequently would you suggest that?

As far as PNS probio, would Microbacter be the same sort of thing? Would dosing be any different than what the bottle recommends? I wouldn't be cycling, so was curious.
When things are off in the tank as yours are water changes are the best thing to help bring back balance particularly in tanks under a year old that are still unstable and unpredictable. Not big changes just 15%. Silicate has been used to help with dinos like yours but I would also add a bunch of pods and dose phytoplankton daily. I like PNS over the others because my corals really react to it and it keeps my sock clean for 10 days or longer. MB is decent also but has not really shown to help much with dinos. Lots of siphon with the water change to clean the sand. Introducing good bacteria and microfauna will help but it's a multi month battle. Change carbon regularly too in case toxins are affecting your corals.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When things are off in the tank as yours are water changes are the best thing to help bring back balance particularly in tanks under a year old that are still unstable and unpredictable. Not big changes just 15%. Silicate has been used to help with dinos like yours but I would also add a bunch of pods and dose phytoplankton daily. I like PNS over the others because my corals really react to it and it keeps my sock clean for 10 days or longer. MB is decent also but has not really shown to help much with dinos. Lots of siphon with the water change to clean the sand. Introducing good bacteria and microfauna will help but it's a multi month battle. Change carbon regularly too in case toxins are affecting your corals.
What pods and phytoplankton do you recommend? Any links you could share?

What does regularly mean for carbon? Weekly, two weeks? I just don't know the frequency when it comes to dinos with toxins and haven't seen any visual indicator or discoloration of any kind in the carbon yet.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, also, I have Dr. Tim's Waste Away, could that be a good substitute over Microbacter? Just thinking about what I have on hand.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pods and phytoplankton do you recommend? Any links you could share?

What does regularly mean for carbon? Weekly, two weeks? I just don't know the frequency when it comes to dinos with toxins and haven't seen any visual indicator or discoloration of any kind in the carbon yet.
I've used Dinkins aquatics and Algaebarn for pods and phytoplankton. I typically buy reef nutrition Tigger pods at my LFS. Carbon can be changed weekly or maybe 2 weeks max.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, also, I have Dr. Tim's Waste Away, could that be a good substitute over Microbacter? Just thinking about what I have on hand.
I haven't used it personally but some older threads on here mention some success using it with dinos. The time release gel packs.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have been for 3 weeks now SpongeExcel and switched to Loud Wolf when that came in per Mack's Facebook group. And right, I have not done any water changes and got my nitrates and phosphates in a nice ratio for now. Still no signs of any diatoms yet though... It's rough out here...
In my tank I barely see any diatoms even when silicate levels are really high. But the dinos go away and that’s all that matters. I‘m on my fourth time fighting these lovely uglies.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used it personally but some older threads on here mention some success using it with dinos. The time release gel packs.
What sort of cadence would you recommend with something like that in this case? Is this a weekly thing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back