LPS irritated?

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a post yesterday about my concern over my LPS not opening. The torch had opened more but still looks irritated by something. The Acan is still shriveled. My pocillopora frag is looking irritated too. All of my softies are doing fine and my monti is doing well too. About 3 days ago I attached a display refugium adding another 20 gallons of water to my initial 50 gallon tank. Does anyone know what could be bothering them? Or what I can do to help them?
My parameters are:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
Phosphate - 0.08
Alkalinity - 180
PH - 8.4
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 1280
Salinity - 1.026

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could u say the alkalinity in ppm? It could be too much light or too little phosphate or too much swings

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could u say the alkalinity in ppm? It could be too much light or too little phosphate or too much swings
My alkalinity is 180 ppm, or 10.08 Dkh, the Acan is in about 120 par been there for 2 weeks now. The torch is in 50 par been there since I got it a few months ago. And the pokilopora is in 260 par, got it two weeks ago

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity is 180 ppm, or 10.08 Dkh, the Acan is in about 120 par been there for 2 weeks now. The torch is in 50 par been there since I got it a few months ago. And the pokilopora is in 260 par, got it two weeks ago
Oh I meant dkh. Are there swings in parameters?

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my nitrate dropped about 20 after one day, and I figured my phosphate followed suit in that change. My salinity went up a bit and same goes for ph.
Maybe because of the salinity and ph swings. Probably not nitrate. My corals did well even though at one point my nitrate was 100 because I got a hanna uktra low range nitrate checker with maximum 5 and I didn't know it. And phosphate is good at around 0.2

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe because of the salinity and ph swings. Probably not nitrate. My corals did well even though at one point my nitrate was 100 because I got a hanna uktra low range nitrate checker with maximum 5 and I didn't know it. And phosphate is good at around 0.2
Yeah the swings would make sense. What should I do to fix it? Should I immediately lower them back to what it used to be? Or should I wait for them to adjust to this and bring it slowly?

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the swings would make sense. What should I do to fix it? Should I immediately lower them back to what it used to be? Or should I wait for them to adjust to this and bring it slowly?
You don't have to change it. But if you want to you should do it pretty slowly. And if ur just going to leave it then keep it stable

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For your top three readings, raise suspicion as the tank appears a little newer possibly. Are you by chance using API test kits?

Also the other values are a little off. Most of the listed corals do best under moderate light and water flow.
Are you using rodi water or tap water from the faucet?
Recommended values for these corals are :

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .5
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-10
CA 440

Lastly, certain coral do not farewell in the sand directly as sand if it gets on them can irritate them.

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your top three readings, raise suspicion as the tank appears a little newer possibly. Are you by chance using API test kits?

Also the other values are a little off. Most of the listed corals do best under moderate light and water flow.

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .5
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-10
CA 440

Lastly, certain coral do not farewell in the sand directly as sand if it gets on them can irritate them.
I thought ammonia is supposed to be zero?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought ammonia is supposed to be zero?
yes but up to 0.25 or below. If youre using API test kit, it may be higher without your knowledge

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .5
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-10
CA 440

The tank is technically on the newer side. It was rejected for about a year and I got it back In shape in the beginning of January, new lights, many water changes, etc. I am using API kits and I do use RODI water

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is technically on the newer side. It was rejected for about a year and I got it back In shape in the beginning of January, new lights, many water changes, etc. I am using API kits and I do use RODI water
I thought so on the Ammonia - 0 and Nitrite - 0. API is notorious for false readings and I suspect they are higher than you are noting. I would suggest talking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kits for testing and have them test for you and see what readings they come with.

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so on the Ammonia - 0 and Nitrite - 0. API is notorious for false readings and I suspect they are higher than you are noting. I would suggest talking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kits for testing and have them test for you and see what readings they come with.
Alright I’ll do that tomorrow then. Meanwhile... what test kits do you recommend I use? I never knew about API kits being untrustworthy. And do you think high ammonia or nitrite could be what’s causing this problem for my coral? Or something else?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion as I don't do water changes, adding the refugium was like doing a 20% water change hence the nitrate reduction / dilution, if I did a 20% wc on my tanks I would probably kill things, I think you have a mass sulk going on?! ;)

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion as I don't do water changes, adding the refugium was like doing a 20% water change hence the nitrate reduction / dilution, if I did a 20% wc on my tanks I would probably kill things, I think you have a mass sulk going on?! ;)
Will they just get used to the change? Or should I do something about it?

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went to the LFS and got my water checked. Turns out I had nitrites in the water..... going to do a small water change and let my bacteria get rid of the rest. Thank you for the help everyone

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back