lps, sps???

Matthew40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

So I’m a complete newbie at this, I’m at the point now where my tank has cycled and coraline is starting to grow. Although I’m a beginner I feel I have a good grasp on keeping stable parameters…should I stick to beginner softies? I feel like I’ve gone above and beyond with my refugium setup, my lighting, and my flow…has anyone started off with sps or should I wait like a year before I start sps? I’m in no rush to start adding corals and I probably won’t be adding any for maybe a month or so…Thanks in advance!!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start with LPS or softies and make sure you can keep them happy with dosing/lighting/etc first. SPS requires more stability and attention. No need to wait a year though.

alxrosco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very nice, and you don‘t have to wait a year to add SPS, you just need to provide the correct conditions, water quality, flow, light, nutrition, etc. You could start with SPS corals such as a Pavona, some montiporas, bird’s nest, stylophoras, etc. Some acroporas are easy to care for. You can also start with some LPS, such as hammer corals. I have a mix reef tank, and has been running for 10 years, but for some reason, there are some corals that do not good in my tank, such as ricordias, which are supposed to be easy to care for. A lot to learn for sure, but so far your tank looks good.

OP
OP
Matthew40

Matthew40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very nice, and you don‘t have to wait a year to add SPS, you just need to provide the correct conditions, water quality, flow, light, nutrition, etc. You could start with SPS corals such as a Pavona, some montiporas, bird’s nest, stylophoras, etc. Some acroporas are easy to care for. You can also start with some LPS, such as hammer corals. I have a mix reef tank, and has been running for 10 years, but for some reason, there are some corals that do not good in my tank, such as ricordias, which are supposed to be easy to care for. A lot to learn for sure, but so far your tank looks good.
Thank you! So much to learn, I’m completely addicted!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the high availability, low cost and forgiveness- Start with LPS while enjoying them and allowing tank to further mature then jump to easy SPS after about 60 days such as digita, stylo, and monti

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd skip most softies and focus on LPS. As you gain experience, you can experiment with some SPS and move towards a mixed reef then decide if you want to go full acro.

Addictedreefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with lps. Consistency is key for sps imo. You don't have to wait a year but keep an eye on parameters, once you have them locked in I'd say your ready for sps. Most sps aren't as forgiving a simple alk swing for example could end up costing you some money.

superwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start with most LPS and maybe a few SPS, if you can maintain stable water parameters and keep SPS happy without feeling overwhelmed, then you can go full blown SPS

OP
OP
Matthew40

Matthew40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for sps your probably going to need more light then just the 3 primes.
Really? I actually bought 4 and i felt it was to much. My next step was to rent a par meter before I start adding coral. Thanks for the input! I still have the 4th light :)

Addictedreefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I actually bought 4 and i felt it was to much. My next step was to rent a par meter before I start adding coral. Thanks for the input! I still have the 4th light :)
What are your tank dimensions? I'm just going off the pictures. I have a 210 6ft long tank with 4 26hds and was shocked at how low my par was running ab+ schedule. I ended up adding a t5 hybrid to the 4 leds.

OP
OP
Matthew40

Matthew40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank dimensions? I'm just going off the pictures. I have a 210 6ft long tank with 4 26hds and was shocked at how low my par was running ab+ schedule. I ended up adding a t5 hybrid to the 4 leds.
Ya…probably hard to tell by the photo, it’s 125g 6’ long.

Addictedreefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6ft long you will be fine for now if you started with lps, but if you plan on adding sps your going to want another light or I guess you could place them directly under the primes? That was with 4 26 hds and my par was weak the hybrid fixed that. Granted my tank is 30 inches deep. But coverage is way better with the 4 26s.

Attachments

• 20210411_154524.jpg
    20210411_154524.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210716_184320.jpg
    20210716_184320.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Matthew40

Matthew40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yaprobably hard to tell by the photo, it’s 125g 6’ long.
6ft long you will be fine for now if you started with lps, but if you plan on adding sps your going to want another light or I guess you could place them directly under the primes? That was with 4 26 hds and my par was weak the hybrid fixed that. Granted my tank is 30 inches deep. But coverage is way better with the 4 26s.
I’m actually an electrician, I feel ashamed lol. I’m going to meter it and go from there. I’m 90% Sure I’m going to start LPS but definitely want SPS down the road. Really appreciate the input! Your tank looks awesome!

Addictedreefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yaprobably hard to tell by the photo, it’s 125g 6’ long.

I’m actually an electrician, I feel ashamed lol. I’m going to meter it and go from there. I’m 90% Sure I’m going to start LPS but definitely want SPS down the road. Really appreciate the input! Your tank looks awesome!
Eh don't feel ashamed I started off with 3 26s myself on a deeper tank lol. Then went to 4 and thought I was definitely good. Then rented a par meter and was disappointed. I found pics of the par map I made.1st is of just the 26s running ab+ 2nd is the t5/ab+. I'm ticked I put off renting the par meter for that long honestly. Hope this helps and good luck.

Attachments

• PSX_20210718_134544.jpg
    PSX_20210718_134544.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 14
  • PSX_20210718_142405.jpg
    PSX_20210718_142405.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 18

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back