Lubeck’s 32 gal Biocube mixed reef build

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Santa came and after six years of being off the grid I’m back in the hobby. Can’t wait!

I got a 32 gal Biocube Coralife. good starter tank after being out so long.
I have to research a bit but these are my questions thus far

1. are there any must have mods for this unit?
  2. was going to wait on updating the lights for now
  3. is putting a fuge in the back middle section worth it?
  4. would a mp10 be enough flow for most sps?
  5. ato or dosing pump for ato? Not sure what will fit back there yet.
  6. should I update the return pump? If so what fits?
  7. will oolite sand be too lite and blow around too much?
Already put a fish In! lots more to come. can’t wait to spend a crap load of money
C01D1017-B7BD-4D6E-BA90-8356FDFB822E.jpeg
D0447CB6-A2C5-4A1D-A361-837B5899B323.jpeg

Last edited:
Lazy's Coral House

A Young reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
good looking tank and that fish is a stunner!
2) I think the stock lights are good enough for the start but later on i think you will need to upgrade them since you mentioned that you want to add sps.
3)refugiums in AIO tanks are a bit of a pain usually but would recommend adding it down the road depending on what your needs are.
4) should be enough but again it depends on what your coral needs are later on.
5) would recommend an ATO less complicated than adjusting your RO dosage on a dosing pump.
7)I think it would be fine, would highly recommend carribseas aragonite special grade.
Goodluck!

TriggersAmuck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Congratulations, and welcome back to the disease, er hobby! Love the low maintenance Triggerfish! ;)

Oolite definitely will blast around if you are looking to have the flow you want for SPS. Also, I would recommend looking at the Nero 3 and 5 as really good options over the MP10.

Avast

cconnolly

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
  1. are there any must have mods for this unit? The InTank units for the rear chambers make things much easier although I still haven’t picked them up yet
  2. was going to wait on updating the lights for now? I thought about the Steve leds but have held off. I’ve got all sorts of softies and LPS growing strong. I’ve got some SPS but it’s only doing ok
  3. is putting a fuge in the back middle section worth it? Yes very much so. I just tossed some bioblocks and a ball of chaeto in the center rear chamber. Works great
  4. would a mp10 be enough flow for most sps? I only have cheapo heads but I have an MP10 on my other tank. It would be more than enough
  5. ato or dosing pump for ato? Not sure what will fit back there yet. I don’t run an ATO. There is barely any evaporation so just not worth it in my opinion. I don’t use a doser either. I just manually put AFR, Phyto and AB+ but get the convenience factor
  6. should I update the return pump? If so what fits? Yes the MightyJet is much nicer and has a bit more flow. Fits easily
  7. will oolite sand be too lite and blow around too much? I have special grade and it’s fine

OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
  1. are there any must have mods for this unit? The InTank units for the rear chambers make things much easier although I still haven’t picked them up yet
  2. was going to wait on updating the lights for now? I thought about the Steve leds but have held off. I’ve got all sorts of softies and LPS growing strong. I’ve got some SPS but it’s only doing ok
  3. is putting a fuge in the back middle section worth it? Yes very much so. I just tossed some bioblocks and a ball of chaeto in the center rear chamber. Works great
  4. would a mp10 be enough flow for most sps? I only have cheapo heads but I have an MP10 on my other tank. It would be more than enough
  5. ato or dosing pump for ato? Not sure what will fit back there yet. I don’t run an ATO. There is barely any evaporation so just not worth it in my opinion. I don’t use a doser either. I just manually put AFR, Phyto and AB+ but get the convenience factor
  6. should I update the return pump? If so what fits? Yes the MightyJet is much nicer and has a bit more flow. Fits easily
  7. will oolite sand be too lite and blow around too much? I have special grade and it’s fine
Thanks cconnolly! Did you add a light for your fuge, if so what and how did you mount it?

Ssdangeranger

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks cconnolly! Did you add a light for your fuge, if so what and how did you mount it?
And I if you wanna add a light to the fuge I highly recommend the tunze fuge light. I’ve only had it 3 weeks and it’s grows algae very great cheato has doubled in size sleek and can be submerged

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
And I if you wanna add a light to the fuge I highly recommend the tunze fuge light. I’ve only had it 3 weeks and it’s grows algae very great cheato has doubled in size sleek and can be submerged
Is this what your talking about? And it fits in the back? How do you have yours positioned?
366FEE72-A0B9-47C6-BA32-3EB2044CFF72.jpeg

Ssdangeranger

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Is this what your talking about? And it fits in the back? How do you have yours positioned?
366FEE72-A0B9-47C6-BA32-3EB2044CFF72.jpeg
Yes it is. I have mine on the outside of back glass because I found since I have both the intank media rack and intank fuge space is limited. I had the light in the water and my cheato touched it for about 2 days and some of it was like bleached out dying where it was touching the light

OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yes it is. I have mine on the outside of back glass because I found since I have both the intank media rack and intank fuge space is limited. I had the light in the water and my cheato touched it for about 2 days and some of it was like bleached out dying where it was touching the light
Appreciate it. Thanks

cconnolly

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just bought a 12” 453nm Actinic Blue ReefBar Aquarium LED Light 9W/Ft from 21 Led USA to add to my stock lighting until I upgrade. Any ideas on how to mount it next to the stock lighting? I read somewhere on this site someone did it but can’t find the post now and want to ask how they mounted it. Any suggestions?

Lazy's Coral House
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
items purchased so far. Hope to have water in by Friday
  1. Apex gold controller
  2. apex ATO
  3. IM nano DC pump 520 gph
  4. 12” actinic 21 led USA to supplement until upgrade
  5. 30# Marco rock peninsula and standard
  6. 10-12” acrylic rods for scape. 3/8”
  7. Vortech mp10
  8. liquagen 5 stage rodi 75 gal
  9. hygger titanium heater 200 watt
  10. Hanna high nitrate
  11. hanna alkaline
  12. hanna calcium
  13. salifert magnesium
  14. hanna low phosphate
  15. hanna nitrite
  16. salifert ammonia
  17. extra thick gel super glue
  18. 2- 35 gal brut cans for water station
  19. Black diamond carbon
  20. 50 gal of ESV salt

Last edited:
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m far from stocking fish but this is what I was thinking

1. Diverse clean up crew
  2. green clown goby
  3. Pair of ora ocellaris black and white clown. Or something similar
  4. Cleaner shrimp
  5. six lime wrasse
  6. yellow watchman goby
  7. bubble tip nem
  8. Fire fish

most of the money will be spent on corals. I will get a few easy starter corals but the rest will be higher end. Any suggestions on fish or corals?

not sold on this yet but this is the idea. Not too much load, right?

Top Shelf Aquatics
GHL Advanced Technology