"Smoothie Studio," a Reef Casa Studio 12 nano SPS tank!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I had an idea for a nano SPS only tank build. I was thinking a nano tank with all the bells and whistles, on a modest budget, and with only a handful of acros. My thinking was that keeping the number of acros limited would allow them to actually grow out into decent colonies. This tank is going to be in my home office, so I wanted something nice to look at that wouldn't take a decade to grow in.

The original plan was to repurpose my IM 10g that's been running as an anemone/clown tank for several years, but I wanted more real estate. I figured with the Nuvo 10 and rockwork I had in it, I could probably accomodate four sticks with room for them to grow in, but I really wanted just a few more. I want as wide an array of colors as I can get with just a handful of corals, so six was my target. While I was sitting here in my office thinking about it, staring at my Reef Casa Flat 6 mushroom tank, I thought, "Man. That tank would be perfect if it was just a little deeper... DING!" :D

I emailed Reef Casa and pitched them my idea. Evidently they liked the idea too, so they agreed to send me a Studio 12, free of charge! It showed up yesterday and, I have to say, I haven't been this excited about a tank build for a while. I'm REALLY looking forward to this, and I have some pretty cool ideas and some projects already in the works. I will be taking my time with this one, but I'm planning on keeping a detailed build thread going from the outset. So...

It begins!

1709227041048.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building the stand now. It's going to be really cool. ;)

I should elaborate a bit... I'm building a stand for the Studio 12 that I'm pretty excited about. The challenge with nano tank stands is that there isn't a lot of room inside for control boards and other "stuff". I want to do some cool things with this tank (AWC, dosing, etc) so I think I've come up with a design that incorporates cool ideas from other stands I've seen, but combinations of which I don't think I've ever seen. Plus, I can make it match all the other furniture in the room.

The downside is that it takes a lot longer to do it this way, but I think it'll be worth it. :D

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is still under construction. It had to take a back seat while I build a coop and run for the 16 chickens my wife brought home. :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back