"Disco Inferno," a Reef Casa Flat 6 Micro Shroom Lagoon!

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! Dude what are you getting? I like their Studio 12 but I have a thing for shallow tanks and couldn't resist the flat 10.

I see what you mean about fitting the Landen return pump. The tubing seems a little loose on the pump's end, I'm going to try to shrink it with a hair dryer unless you have another suggestion.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! Dude what are you getting? I like their Studio 12 but I have a thing for shallow tanks and couldn't resist the flat 10.

I see what you mean about fitting the Landen return pump. The tubing seems a little loose on the pump's end, I'm going to try to shrink it with a hair dryer unless you have another suggestion.

I used tubing that was a little small and heated/stretched it. I think it was 1/2" ID tubing and I used the bigger of the 2 outlets that came with the pump.

And, yes. I'm thinking Studio 12. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the dual RFG flow kit and, as I suspected, I was able to turn up the flow a bit without blasting anything. I went from a setting of 4 on the pump (132gph) to a setting of 6 (150gph) and nothing seems unhappy. I'd say in general, the flow is "calmer" even though I'm moving more total GPH.

The stock pump that the tank comes with is a 500 L/H AC pump. With my current settings I'm at about 567 L/H. I feel like the stock pump and dual RFG kit would be a nice match if you're ok with an AC pump (no feed mode or incremental adjustments).

I've also turned down the light intensity quite a bit. I originally set the schedule so that my peak PAR would be about 90-115 throughout the tank. I also did a 20% acclimation over the last 4 weeks. At the start everything looked great, but as the acclimation process progressed, all the shrooms seemed to be shying away from the light. So, I just reduced the overall intensity to 15% less than what I had it before. Everything is looking nice and happy again. I'll have to break out the PAR meter again and see where I'm actually at now, but I'm guessing probably 60-80 PAR at this point.

Overall, I am SUPER happy with how this tank is coming along! I'm really excited about the next one! I have some cool stuff planned. ;)

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a real BSA Purple Monster, a TDF and a cool Eclectus yesterday. I'll try to get some good pictures of them.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming out the other side of a battle with bryopsis in this tank. For about a month, things were ugly and the shrooms were unhappy, but I did a round of Flux Rx a few weeks ago. It wiped out the bryopsis in a matter of days, and now the tank is finally hitting its stride. Most of the shrooms are looking good again, and the few grumpy ones are looking better every day.

I snapped a few good pictures this morning and figured it was time to update this thread.

One of the Candy Crush variants I have:

_JBYN_37.jpg

A cool "Reverse" Jawbreaker:

9jPEp42b.jpg

The as yet unnamed Pink Discosoma:

dbrbArnE.jpg

Another Candy Crush variant:

HaLGAMNz.jpg

And ANOTHER Candy Crush Variant:

KvLqtJxP.jpg

GODZILLA!

p-TFPU9-.jpg

A generic Purple Monster

sHVrXfG6.jpg

And a Kryptonite Jawbreaker

yakrNF20.jpg

The Rainbow Deadpool, Electus and Poletti Jawbreakers are all still grumpy, but they're making a comeback.

I also have several sweet Jawbreakers that have been chilling in a friend's frag tank while I got the bryopsis issue sorted out. They'll be coming home shortly now that things have settled in. So, I'll be adding the TDF, BSA Purple Monster, an Andre's Ultimate and a weird looking Eclectus to the mix soon!

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to figure out how to best take pictures of these shrooms. The ones I posted above are S23+ pics with the Orphek orange filter.

Here's another pic of the generic Purple Monster using "Pro Mode" with 10k white balance and no filter...

437094881_1095816111702528_2357391399354255584_n.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back