Luck of adding a Purple tang with other tangs?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife would like a Purple Tang for the big tank downstairs.

Current tangs in the tank are Yellow Tang, and Blue Hippo. My yellow is the oldest of the 2 and been with us in one of the tanks in the house for going on 3 years. hes been in the 220 since it went up last july. Thoughts here?

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different ways to go about it. Acclimation box, getting a different size then what the yellow is. Maybe smaller so he’s not as much of a threat. Change your aquascape up a bit to disrupt the territory’s (probably anyone’s least favorite unless you’re not really digging your existing scape). Or a combination of them or all of them.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different ways to go about it. Acclimation box, getting a different size then what the yellow is. Maybe smaller so he’s not as much of a threat. Change your aquascape up a bit to disrupt the territory’s (probably anyone’s least favorite unless you’re not really digging your existing scape). Or a combination of them or all of them.
When i added the hippo, i did it at night, lights off for 24 hours ( my basement is completely dark when no lights are on) Came home turned lights on, and the darn yellow didnt even care.... when he was in the 90 he chased a niger for a week, heck a few weeks ago when i got our Tusk, he chased him for a day... so its been hit or miss. Wife loves Purples, wanted one for the 72 build till i explained the size a bit more, but if i could get something going down the road for one in the 220, id be game. DO i need to add a pair to help cut aggression and spread it out as well? Zebros i know can be dinks, and my yellow usually is.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A niger and a tusk can typically both hold there own. But adding another zebrasoma I think is where you’ll see the most aggression. I’ve had luck with getting a smaller tang but that’s just my experience. I’ve also had luck with removing the dominant fish for a week or two while the new fish gets established but that’s only when the new guy can’t catch a break. Sometimes it’s impossible to catch a fish without tearing the tank apart so that’s not always an option. From my experience I’ve also noticed adding bristletooth or acanthurus are much easier than adding the a zebrasoma with a zebrasoma (or any orientation of same genus as far as tangs for). One other piece of advice is to keep live macro algae for them to eat so food isn’t an issue

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don’t mean to sound negative. It most certainly can be done and has by a lot of reefers. I’m just saying the chances of it being the most aggressive of your additions is higher. I’ve have done it successfully using the methods I’ve mentioned. Sounds like you know what to look for and how to manage it.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A niger and a tusk can typically both hold there own. But adding another zebrasoma I think is where you’ll see the most aggression. I’ve had luck with getting a smaller tang but that’s just my experience. I’ve also had luck with removing the dominant fish for a week or two while the new fish gets established but that’s only when the new guy can’t catch a break. Sometimes it’s impossible to catch a fish without tearing the tank apart so that’s not always an option. From my experience I’ve also noticed adding bristletooth or acanthurus are much easier than adding the a zebrasoma with a zebrasoma (or any orientation of same genus as far as tangs for). One other piece of advice is to keep live macro algae for them to eat so food isn’t an issue

Yeah, I do not think adding another from the zebrasoma family usually goes well. Unless they are added at the same time, or in a VERY large system.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also said, "in the big tank", implying you have more then one tank. Could you maybe put the yellow in your other tank? and the purple in the 220?

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This helped me when I added a gem with an existing Hippo and three Angels.

Put a mirror in one of the sides. It will keep the other fish occupied. Worked flawless for me. I took the mirror off a few hours later.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don’t mean to sound negative. It most certainly can be done and has by a lot of reefers. I’m just saying the chances of it being the most aggressive of your additions is higher. I’ve have done it successfully using the methods I’ve mentioned. Sounds like you know what to look for and how to manage it.
no no i want to hear all sides of it. I currently feed about 4 sheets of nori a day as it is. 2 sheets in the morning, and 2 sheets at night, one on each side of tank.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a tang heavy tank. Initially had 2 scopas and a sailfin. Eventually added a yellow tang, who the scopas bullied a little but it didn't last more than a day as the yellow tang held it's own. Other tangs I added were not zebrasomas so no one cared until I added my purple tang (who was much smaller). I put him in an acclimation box and the two scopas spent 24/7 trying to relentlessly attack him inside the box. I took them out for about 6 weeks and kept them in a friend's tank. When I put them back, my yellow tang chased them around for a few days but it never got too ugly.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no no i want to hear all sides of it. I currently feed about 4 sheets of nori a day as it is. 2 sheets in the morning, and 2 sheets at night, one on each side of tank.
I would use a mirror. That will always work.
What do you mean by 4 sheets of Nori. A sheet of nori is a 10 inches X 10 inches. My whoel tank eat 1 sheet. I think our idea of a "sheet of Nori" is different.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirrors work best for me as well. That’s what helped the most when I recently added a second yellow tang to my 180 that already housed a purple, yellow, and hippo. Getting a smaller new tang helps too.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes those sizes. my i load the clips before i leave with a folded sheet on each side. its gone when i get home from work. 2 rabbits, 2 tangs, and a ton of others that somehow shouldnt but do love eating nori...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirrors work best for me as well. That’s what helped the most when I recently added a second yellow tang to my 180 that already housed a purple, yellow, and hippo. Getting a smaller new tang helps too.
i would try to get a smaller purple, i found with the hippo, he was smaller than the yellow, so maybe that played in.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple is generally the most aggressive of the zebrasoma. Are you planning to QT it first? Getting a new fish eating and to a healthy weight in a non competitive environment is the most important step in preparing it for the grief it’s going to take from the yellow. I added my purple to a 265 with resident yellow and hippo ... that was six years ago. Now it’s the biggest bully in them tank. Purple and yellow won’t ever be ‘friends’ but ......

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple is generally the most aggressive of the zebrasoma. Are you planning to QT it first? Getting a new fish eating and to a healthy weight in a non competitive environment is the most important step in preparing it for the grief it’s going to take from the yellow. I added my purple to a 265 with resident yellow and hippo ... that was six years ago. Now it’s the biggest bully in them tank. Purple and yellow won’t ever be ‘friends’ but ......
Yes. I'd qt it here, or have my buddy qt it and pay him for services. I'd also look at the large breeder box approach. Wife wants one, and I don't think one would be a good idea in the new 72, I'll go with a tomini there

Back