Luck with Deep Water Acropora

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

As you might recall, we frequently offer some of the so-called "deepwater" Acropora fairly regularly. I''d love to hear more of your experiences with them. I, personally, have become quite captivated by them.

IMG_8402bluishgreendeepwateracro1andhalfinch58.jpgUC.jpg

IMG_8389.jpgUC.jpg

_DSC0796.jpg

_DSC7921-UC.jpg

_DSC0749.jpg

We have noticed over the past several months that, once their needs are understood, even the more delicate ones seem to do well. The primary needs, in our experience, seem to be:

1) Lighting that is not too intense initially. We start the nely received maricultured pieces under T5, and they acclimate well. After a month or so, we ramp them up to halides (at the fringes of the light mover arrays). They seem to adapt well to 20K halides. It seems funny that we would worry about burning even deeper water Acros, but they really don't do well if you throw them right under halides. If you take the time to adapt them under lower light intensity for a bit, they definitely get richer, deeper colors, and then seem to go from there.

2) Strong flow. Almost every one that we have worked with (such as A. subgalbra, for example), seems to do well under higher flow. These corals almost always seem to get algae accumulations on them in low flow situations for some reason. Really strange. Perhaps it's the smoothness of their skeleton, or the delicate spacing of the branches on many species. Not sure, just speculating.

3) They do not respond well to traditional dip solutions in many cases. They sometimes lose tissue. Simple Lugol's dips in water seem to work best.

4) Feed as you would any Acro. But don't overfeed, as water quality should be quite high.

5) Don't disturb them too much. They just don't seem to respond well to excessive handling.

6) Stable environmental parameters. Little variance in water chemistry is ideal.

7) They seem to respond very well, color-wise, when the potassium levels are good. Perhaps a bit anecdotal, but we noticed a huge improvement in color of all of our corals when we started measuring and supplementing potassium as needed.

8) When fragging them, put them immediately in a high flow environment, and in a lighting regimen that is identical to the parent colony. No need to "ramp up" the lighting conditions for these frags, in our experience.

9) If you have a tabling form, consider gluing to a rock or frag plug "lengthwise" across the branch (i.e.; on its side). They seem to be "programmed" to table better that way!

10) Although the mother colonies respond fine to fragging, you son't want to go to crazy. They seem to take a bit longer than most Acros to begin growing again. Not sure why, and this is just our experience.

Hope these points are of interest. I am very curious about your personal experiences with these interesting Acros! Please share thoughts, experiences, ideas here!

Thanks!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, Ive noticed pretty much all the same stuff. I like them cause they seem to be great for the lower areas of my rock work and hold there colors really well there with pretty good growth. I did lose the first couple I purchased to dips too. That last one you posted is amazing, love all the colors on that one.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deepwaters are my favorite. I love the look of the softskins. Though they can be tempermental, the look is unmatched IMO. They are slow growers which can be a plus in our tanks :)
bsa

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, Ive noticed pretty much all the same stuff. I like them cause they seem to be great for the lower areas of my rock work and hold there colors really well there with pretty good growth. I did lose the first couple I purchased to dips too. That last one you posted is amazing, love all the colors on that one.

I hear ya, Brett! Not sure what might be the cause of the sensitivity to dips, but we're really careful with them now.
-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the tips....that crazy blue branching piece is wild!! and +1^ the last piece is super sick!!

You're quite welcome. We have a lot more to learn about them, but did manage to make a few anecdotal observations which might help! Yeah, the blue one is an Acropora suharsonoi, a really cool coral!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deepwaters are my favorite. I love the look of the softskins. Though they can be tempermental, the look is unmatched IMO. They are slow growers which can be a plus in our tanks :)
bsa

Great point, Barbara and George! The slow growth can certainly make life easier on the busy reefer! Less trimming is always plus!

-Scott

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 140 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back